A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, January 01, 2006

HiPoints, Are They Worth the Money?

If anyone else has ever gazed surreptiously at the HiPoint pistols in the cheapo case and wondered if they are a worthy investment, over on Glock Talk a HiPoint C9 is undergoing a torture test. In the words of Bikenut, the tester,
"I've been following the Hi-Point handgun controversy for quite a while and got fed up. So I bought a new C9 today. Took it in the box from the gun shop to the indoor range (with a short pause to "register" it with the police) tonite without messing with it other than removing that blasted sticker on the butt just to see for myself if the nay sayers were full of it or not... or vice versa. Basicly it went from factory into a box then to the range and was taken out of the box and fired... wasn't even cleaned beforehand or anything."
To tell the truth, I have long thought about buying a HiPoint C9 for just this very reason myself. Bikenut just beat me to it. I was having a hard time justifying the ammo costs, because I was expecting the gun to last a long, long time. I'd rather be shooting my 9mm Commander with all that ammo, and I'd rather spend the gun money on an old M&P.........



Blogger Nate said...

The point about the excess recoil is one to consider. Its to be expected from a blowback design in a major caliber. I had a chance to shoot a mag full of 45 through one a few months back. What a top-heavy clunker it was! I suppose it has a place for those that want a gun and have few $$. But they aren't fun guns.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous ccracs said...

In a word NO

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goober. He's not asking you what you think, he's letting you know about a thread where an independant, unbiased test is going on. Sheeesh.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Standard Mischief said...

There's a certain consumer out there that's just going to go to a gun store and buy a box of ammo and a cheap 9mm. They might run most of the box through the gun in one session, at most, and then it gets stuck thereafter in the drawer beside the bed against the possible hour of need.

Now I'm never gonna trust my life to a cheap gun that has not been completely and throughly tested, but I'm an atypical gun owner. If you are reading a blog on guns regularly, so are you.

It's good to hear that the cheapy guns are safe to fire and work pretty well in a pinch.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi-points are good guns who ever said they jams must have had a bad clip or did not take care of the weapon there only down fall to me is that they are heavy if high-point made them a lil lighter and improved the blow-back design not to recoil so much I think it would do alot better but I would recommend this gun to anyone especialy the novice just learning how to fire and for those of you that have never fired it (Hi-point) don't knock it before you try it

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link