A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, April 07, 2006

An Evening at the Gun Show

Years ago, I purchased my first Smith & Wesson revolver, a Model 49, at a gun show. That was almost a decade ago, and I paid an even $200. Tonight, I saw a Model 49 tagged at $425. I also spotted a walker carrying a Smith & Wesson Model 40, the snubbie with a grip safety. Unfortunately, he would not give me a price on it. I later saw that he had sold it to a dealer, who tagged it at $500.

It was a Smith & Wesson free for all. There was a Model 18-4 with diamond magnas and the box for $575, a Model 48-2 unfired, for $700, and a Model 14-3 for $400. There was a round butt blued 9mm Smith & Wesson Model 547 up for grabs at $650. A Model 28 with a bit of muzzle wear was offered at $400. There were several two and a half inch Pythons commanding a princely price of over $1200. Unfortunately, the prices were all hopeful, and half the show was Chinese knife beanie baby crap. The show was well advertised, much more than the last show, but there seemed to be less selection.

Cussin' Bob found a buyer for his Mini 14 with the folding stock. Bob had been carrying it at the last three shows. He finally accepted $525 for it. I went out to the car and got my XD9 and brought it inside to try to liquidate. It was in good shape, and had two 10 round mags as well as the box. I had one fellow from out of town offer me $325 for it several times, and in retrospect, I probably should have accepted, but I was wanting $350. Finally, with my feet barking from a long day at work and a couple of hours crawling the show, I decided to toss in the towel and maybe try again tomorrow.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger James R. Rummel said...

What is "Chinese knife beanie baby crap", anyway?

James

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the non-gun and non-knife colorful plastic kids toys and girlie trinkets that end up at taking up tables at the shows. Picture a lot of the junk you'd find at an everything's a dollar store and then transplant it to a gun show. Add in some folks selling antique coins, low-end airsoft guns, novels, and gothic swords.
Some shows won't allow that kind of non-related stuff, but if no dealers are buying the tabless, I'm sure the promoters are happy to just sell the space.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Anon, you have a point, without the beanie baby crap, there might be no gun show. At least at this show, it is divided up with the extra curricular BS on one side and the guns on the other.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home