A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Crank Popping

I took the Armstrong out for a sixty minute ride this morning. It has developed a minor pop coming from the bottom bracket on the left side. It doesn't seem to be the track pedals that I added. The cotters are tight.

I wonder if the shaft and the crank arms are not fitting properly. I retained the previous Raleigh shaft when I put on the Rudge crank arms, and there may be a small difference in diameter. I may end up swapping the shafts between the Raleigh Super Course and the Armstrong today. At any rate, I'm planning on removing the bottom bracket for an inspection. Hopefully it's just a bad ball bearing. I won't figure it out by speculating though. Time to break out the spanner wrench.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Carl H said...

FWIW when I used to get a little 'pop' riding on my old Maserati, the Campy crank cotter pins would need to be adjusted.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know much about bicycle bearings, but any ball bearing will pop when you overtighten them. Look for a flat spot on the race.

Of course, you probably know that.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let the crank cotter pins wear too much else they break and the crank arm comes off the bottom bracket at the most in opportune time. I have scars on my ankle from 30 years ago to prove this.

Brian

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home