A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Fluidity

I took my Model 38 to the range today, along with a Model 649 to train with. I frequently carry the lightweight Model 38 holstered in my pants pocket, but the aluminum frame makes it a less durable revolver when it comes to frequent shooting. When the opportunity to purchase a stainless steel Model 649 to train with presented itself, I did not pass up the deal.

Click to enlarge
I shot paper plates at 5-7 yards, drawing from my pocket and moving laterally. I got most of my hits on the plates. The pocketed snubbie has a distinct advantage over other concealed handguns in that the carrier can place his hand in their pocket, assume a firing grip, and be ready to draw and shoot from that condition before an aggressor ever knows a firearm is available to the defender.

I also worked with the two 1911s drawing and firing from concealment. I do not train in a 4 step staccato process of drawing and shooting. Smooth is my goal. I train to get behind the sight as the pistol is being punched out, aligning the sights on target and firing the shot before my arms reach the abrupt stop and tremor of full extension. I was not as fluid as I would have liked to have been today. I'm going to have to work on it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home