A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, January 12, 2009

Finish Wear

After work this afternoon, I took two of my beater 22s to the range for some informal plinking. Every shooter should have a 22 handgun that is weathered and scarred. Click to enlargeThe shiny silver peeking from beneath the blue just means they get used, and a 22 handgun should get used, a lot.

The Ruger MKII pictured here is what I call my "fishin' gun." It wears a Clark Custom palmswell grip that changes the MKII grip angle to that of a 1911. I wish Clark still marketed that grip. I have a Volquartsen sear and trigger in the pistol as well. The muzzle is silver now, and the grip metal finish is worn away to a lovely brown tone. Gun oil and continued use keeps the rust demons away.

The Model 17-3 was purchased from Dave's pawn shop a few years back. I had searched gun shows and pawn shops a long time for a Model 17 priced under $200. Dave sold me this one for a buck less than that. The finish wear made it affordable, but the old gun is no less accurate than it ever was. If a person is a revolver shooter, they should not wait as I did. I was extremely lucky to find a Model 17 in that price range.

Finish wear is actually a good thing in a lot of ways. I don't have to worry terribly about that first bit of silver appearing on the muzzle. I take care of the old handguns, but they can be stuffed into a holster and spend the day bouncing around on the bench seat of a pick-up truck, or riding on my hip. And that's what a handgun should do.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Old NFO said...

That's why they're shooters :-) Enjoy them every chance you get! And I agree, I wish Jim Jr. would do another run of those grips.

8:42 PM  
Blogger be603 said...

You haven't shot a 22 pistol til you've shot a Model 17. I had no idea before I got mine a little over a year ago.

All those years wasted...

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honest wear in a firearm, a car or even a significant other can be a good thing.

8:35 AM  
Blogger midnight rider said...

I just bought an S&W K-22 (precursor of the model 17 this one mfg. 1952 according to the dealer) 10 days ago at a local gun show. In beautiful condition just a little salt and pepper at the muzzle. Paid close to $600 for it. Only had it out once shoots like a dream.

It was either that or an S&W 4 inch Highway Patrolman, also in beautiful shape. Only had funds for 1 so, since I have a 19-3 from 1974. . .

Sometimes the smaller local shows turn up the best gems.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good guns there.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home