A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Blue Plastic

I am amazed at the prices modern blue plastic Colt boxes are bringing on ebay. This one is $41.00 and climbing. Of course, you get free shipping. This one is $54.00. Meanwhile, here's a Colt box that is a bit battered, but is a true antique that can't get a bid at ten bucks!

In an unscrupulous dealers hands, these boxes do have the power to transform a used gun into a LNIB gun, but the price differential is often similar to the price for the boxes. I'm not sure what is going on here.

In the past, I have used blue plastic Colt boxes to carry trade fodder at gun shows. When cruising a show with such a box, I never fail to get immediate attention if I belly up to a dealer's table to take a look at his guns. I never have to wait if I have a Colt box. Invariably I am asked "Whatcha got in the box?"

"Just an old gun," I reply. I usually have an old beater H&R revolver and a few grips to trade off in my Colt box, but I only open it when I'm ready. Even then, I am often offered cash for the box. Right now, I have seven or eight blue plastic Colt boxes in my gun room. Perhaps I should ebay them and get myself another gun......

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ed Rasimus said...

Now you've gone and done it--soured the gun show market for unscrupulous traders seeking to get more than they give. All the rest of us will have go carry another brand of box for our junk.

You're right though. Carry a box at a gun show and every ten feet someone will ask.

I did a great trade for a low mileage H&K P9S. Got a superior grade Tiika 30-06 with some beautiful wood and a trigger like glass. Still my primary hunting rifle.

Most recent trade was Super Grade Win Mod 70 in .338 that I didn't want to hurt me anymore for a DPMS "Sportical" flat-top carbine.

Good shopping!

11:01 AM  
Blogger AnarchAngel said...

Thus further proving my thesis that Colt people are deranged.

They'll pay three times as much for the same piece of junk if it has the prancing pony stamped on it somewhere.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Assrot said...

I don't suppose you have an original box for a Colt 1911 made in 1917 lying about?

It's the only thing I don't have for that gun.

Joe

P.S. - I'll by anything Colt and gladly pay the price. 50 years from now it will still work while the average gun will have been rebuilt a few times.

Long live Colt. I'm a Colt kool-aid drinker and proud of it.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No gun-related products on EBay, I don't think.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home