A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tweaking the Ring

Old moldy cameras I examined my 85mm lens that came on the Nikon, and found that the smack it had taken bent the focus ring slightly out of round as well as the front rim of the lens.

After a bit of careful manipulation with a small screwdriver used as a pry tool, I had the focusing ring close enough to being round again to allow the lens to focus throughout it's entire range. The lens focuses quickly enough now that it matches my speed with a manual camera. It is definitely more precise. I may end up liking this autofocus innovation yet.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you talked about image editing in your last post... check out irfanview for windows... it is a simple and free image viewer but its most important feature is that it will batch convert images from one format to another and from one size to another...

all of the photos i take with my d40 are WAY too big to email to my parents and in-laws... irfanview's batch convert lets me easily downsize the images all at once... you can either specify a specific size or you can reduce the image by a % which is what i do...

for a freeware program, you really cant beat it.

3:19 AM  
Blogger Carteach said...

Xavier, you are killing me here. I have serious wants for a decent camera, and you are twisting the knife at higher RPM with each post!

(g)

4:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back in the mid-90s when I was still shooting sports for a daily paper with F3s, I bought the 85/1.8 AF specifically to shoot basketball, because if needed such an incredibly light touch for focusing....
That lens and the second version of the AF 180 were some of my favorites...

9:21 AM  
Blogger AnarchAngel said...

grab a cheap adapter ring or filter and thread it on there very carefully (to avoid cross threading). THat should finish the round out job.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The word "lens" does not have an e on the end of it.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Hyunchback said...

Hail Xavier!

Lord of the Ring!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Sterno said...

So....I'm ready to see what this new camera can do.

Post some pics, preferably of guns, but anything will do.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Sterno, the picture in this post was taken with this lens, handhend, inside, incadescent light.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home