A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, October 24, 2005

Pawn Shop Circuit: A Colt Woodsman

This morning I started at Neil's store. Neil still had his five black tactical pistols for sale, and no shotguns. I chatted a bit, and tried to catch a glimpse of what was hanging on the pegs in his safe. No dice, and he wasn't telling.

So, I moved on to Dave's pawn shop. Dave had added a Charter Arms Undercover to the rack, with a tag reading $125. Nope, not today. Then I spied a goodie. I asked to see it. Dave smiled. He handed me a Colt Woodsman, 1st Series, with a serial number dating it to 1942. It was in about 90% or better finish, with one magazine and a holster made by Brauer Bros. The grips were the walnut checkered sort, and were in fair shape. Dave had it priced at $250.

Now I've never owned a Woodsman, and I don't know much about them, but I do know I like to shoot .22LR, I like Colts, and I had $250 in my pocket. Having seen the prices attached to Woodsman pistols at gun shows, I figured I could get my money back if I had to. Anyway, Dave gives me a 30 day guarantee. If the gun won't shoot, I can decide whether or not I want to return it. I broke out the wallet and paid the man his price.

I started to head on over to Amber's pawn shop, just to look, but I headed home instead. Perhaps tomorrow I will get a chance to do a head to head range test between my favorite Ruger MKII and my new Colt Woodsman!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Tam said...

You know who designed the Woodsman?

That's right: John. Moses. Browning.

It's the only .22 autochucker about which Bob, one of our gunsmiths, ever has anything nice to say.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Countertop said...

one of these days I am gonna throw up a pic of my Dads Colt Match Target Woodsman.

He's still got it in the original cardboard box with all the papers and stuff. Its gorgeous and in near 100% condition. He's had it for years - since he was a little kid. I think its the first handgun he purchased and treats it like its royalty

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I aways wanted a Woodsman. how doesit shoot?

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question. I LOOKED AT A COLT 22,THAT THE SELLER STATED WAS A WOODSMAN, HOWEVER IT WAS NOT MARKED AS A WOODSMAN. ARE ALL WOODSMEN MARKED BY COLT WITH THE WORD "WOODSMAN" SUBJECT GUN WAS A 1922,VINTAGE.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Early Woodsmen did not have the Woodsman rollmark.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I currently own and use a 1922 .22 colt woodsman. When I received it from my grandfather he only knew at the time it was a 1922 and he said it was the first to have the hindsight. I was always told it was a 1922, but I have never brought it to anyone to verify. It does have "The Woodsman" on it.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home