A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Firearms Bill of Sale

When I buy or sell a firearm privately, I always get a Bill of Sale. A proper Bill of Sale will give a buyer some protection against a stolen firearm, if nothing else creating fear in the seller's mind if the seller doubts the gun's history. It will also offer some legal protection if the gun is later used in a crime and traced back to the seller.

Here is the basic Bill of Sale I use. Feel free to cut and paste it into a word processor program and make up your own. That being said, I make no guarantees to it's validity in court. I am not an attorney.


Bill of Sale
Transfer of Ownership


For $______ received, I, (seller’s name here), have sold to (buyer's name here)
One (1) ABC Model XYZ firearm description here, Serial # _____________
Any other accessories here

I represent that this ___________ is not stolen. I am the owner of the _______ listed above. If it can be shown now or in the future that this _______ was stolen prior to the date listed below, I will give the buyer a full refund for return of the _______ and all accessories listed above.

Sold as is.
No warranty is expressed or implied by the Seller.
Seller assumes no responsibility after transfer of ownership has taken place.
Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all aftermarket parts added to the ___________.
Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all original equipment parts on the ________.
Buyer assumes all responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place.

Seller specifically disclaims any warranties of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose of this ________ and disclaims all responsibility for consequential and/or incidental damages or any other losses arising from the use of said _________.

Buyer agrees to the terms and conditions set forth and listed on this document, and acknowledges that he has received a true copy of this Bill of Sale/Transfer of Ownership and certifies that he is 21 years of age or older. Buyer acknowledges and understands that he will read the Owner’s Manual. Buyer agrees that it will be his responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place to adjust, check, and follow all instructions as outlined in the Owner’s Manual. Buyer attests that he is able to legally buy and possess firearms.

Buyer: Name Here
Seller: Name Here

Date:_________________________

Buyer: _____________________________
Address:____________________________
Phone #: ____________________________
Seller: ______________________________
Address: ____________________________
Phone #: ____________________________

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good bill of sale, much better than what I've been using. One thing I add to my BofS is the purchaser's driver license number, as some dgree of proof that the person to whom I transferred to gun is a legal resident of my state.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Nice, thank you!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Stephanie King said...

I just have a question - Does a bill of sale for a firearm have to be notarized? If not, the transaction is still legal, right?

10:20 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

If the transaction is legal, the bill of sale is unnecessary. The Bill of Sale comes in handy if you ever have to prove you sold the gun, or prove who you bought the gun from.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey thanks for the help it saves alot of time inthe long run just in case!

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Idaho but work in New Mexico. A Co-worker wants to buy one of my guns. Is there a problem with state to state transfer?

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not if you do the transfer through a FFL dealer.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

should say over 18

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this, Xavier. With just a few minor tweaks, this bill of sale can be used for nearly ANY personal transaction. You're a lifesaver! -Fenix

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you very helpfull

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put the DL# on mine when I used this template.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only question I have and I am not trying to be a smart ass is how are you going to give the seller back a stolen gun to get your money? If you found out it was stolen it probably has been confiscated?

6:45 PM  
Anonymous bill of sale template said...

Look like Contract document but it s very quite good definitely paper. I like it.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous bill of sale template said...

Thank you very much for this form. I m surely that it will be useful for every readers. And i will inform all my friend to visite these

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So,if i sold a gun with no bill of sale will i b in trouble?what should i do?~confused

6:15 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

No, but if you ever really need to prove that you sold the gun, suppose it is found beside a dead body... the bill of sale will not only heklp your memorty, but help the police to clear you.

Plus, the buyer asserts they are not a felon when signing. If the person buying is a felon who is lying to you, you are technically in violation of the law.

But no, you do not legally need a bill of sale. That doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great bill of sale. i live in East Africa and need something to seal the deal on some guns. this works great. thanks

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I purchased a gun at a local gun show 25 years ago. I have used it and hunted with since that time. I no longer have the receipt or any paperwork on the transaction. Recently, I was traveling with the gun and while checking it at the airport as baggage, learned through a TSA agent that the serial number showed that the gun was stolen over 30 years ago. I paid $2,200 for the gun, and do not want to give it up. What are my options?

6:40 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Anon...... Realistically, Hire an attornet to fight a court case that I believe you will ultimately lose. That will cost much more than $2200. There is a very small chance the reported serial number could be wrong. That is your only chance, really.

Your other option is to give up the gun, and be glad you were not arrested.

10:50 PM  
Blogger paramedicop@gmail.com said...

The TSA agent has absolutely no way to know this as they don't run the serial numbers on weapons (in fact, they don't see them because they're declared then locked in a case).

Either this is BS or the TSA civilian is lying to you to keep your gun.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi a co worker I know wants to sale his .357 that I'm interested in. Hes not a felon but doesn't have a bill of sale just someone gave it to him. If I purchase it an follow your format of bill of sale an I go shooting at a range do I carry this document an will it be valid. If not? Where do I go to make it legal an on my name?

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great document! Only adjustment I made was changing the pronouns to "they" instead of "he", seeing as I'm female. Other than that small adjustment, this was laid out very well. Thank you!

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home