A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Colt Army Special Range Report

Back on January 9, 2006, I was in Bossier City hitting pawn shops, and I happened into Clark's Gun and Safety. There, I found this Colt Army Special for a mere $275. I had considered a Colt Army Special previously at a pawn shop, but it was priced at $299 and not in near as good condition. I let that one slip past me, and it bothered me that I had. Thus, when this Army Special popped up at Clark's in much better shape, for less money, I jumped all over it. However, the Colt wheelgun fell second fiddle to another pistol I found, and I have been remiss in taking it to the range.

Today, I made up for my remission. The way you check a Colt's lock-up is to drop the hammer and continue holding the trigger back. Then you try to turn the cylinder. This gun's lock-up was tighter than Tammy Faye Baker at a biker party. The fixed sights were very easy to pick up. I think this Colt might have a tad wider notch for a rear sight than a Smith does. The workmanship on the Colt was superb. A handbuilt handgun like this would sell for $2000+ on today's market.Single Action, Six Shots, 10 yards I shot 130 grain Winchester White Box (the Super Match box is just a prop). Shooting double action, the Colt's trigger was smooth as greased glass, with a hint of stacking at the end. The revolver handled easily. It had no failures in 200 rounds fired. The pictured target is my best at 30 feet, single action. This gun is accurate, so accurate that I have no excuse with it. Judging from the wear and the rifling, it probably now has twice as many rounds through it as it previously had. The wear on this revolver is all shelf wear. This hand fitted Colt, made in 1917, was $275 very well spent.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice buy. Great looking old colt

4:02 PM  
Blogger AlanDP said...

Boy that gun looks sweet. It makes me wonder if I could refurbish my old 1917 so it wouldn't look like something somebody dug potatoes with.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While home I bought an S&W target pistol, and got an ancient box of supermatch with it. Soon after I went back to sea, my wife decided she needed to practice.
Yep, she managed to miss the 5 boxes of cheap wadcutter I'd picked up, and used the box of supermatch...
I decided the best course was to keep my mouth shut.
Now, how am I gonna talk Xavier out of his Colt???

5:43 AM  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Nice Army .38!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

I introduced my wife to shooting and over the years we've accumulated some handguns in several S&Ws in .38 and .357; some 1895 Nagants; several CZ52s; an Enfield No. 2; a Kel-Tec each; a nice Walther Manhurin; a Ballestor-Molina .45 ACP; and ONE early 50s Colt Police Positive in .38 Special.

Her favorite to shoot out of all 'em? That old Colt. :-)

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just bought a Colt Army Special .32-20 and am waiting for the waiting period to elapse on November 18. I hope its as accurate as your .38. I've already got the brass, bullets and dies to reload for it.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey xav, i have a .38 army special my father left me. Where can i find the dates and serial numbers that fall in them so i could possibly date mine?

12:53 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Proofhouse.com

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone help a brother find out more history on a Army Special? I was told from the Colt factory team at a trade show this gun is very special. I have looked everywhere including proofhouse.com and I can not find the serial number or the insector stamp. The number is 403285 and it is stamped U. The gun also has an engraved Colt logo on the left side of the frame just above the grip.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you still have the SUper Match? If so I would be interested in talking to you. bigvike@aol.com
Jim

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home