A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Gun Show: K-22 Quest

I had made the decision to buy the Model 17-4 for the asking price if necessary, and I crossed the icy bridge over the river on my return to the gunshow. I did not have to wait outside in the cold this time, as I was not determined to be among the first people through the door. The decision to pay the price for a K-22 Masterpiece was a great relief. Like asking the head cheerleader to the Friday night dance, three quarters of the problem is the decision to cross the bridge towards action. That decision was made this morning, and I intended to buy. $550 was a fair price, but I would offer $500 and see if I could save a bit. I found a parking spot in the slushy parking lot, bought a ticket, accepted a hand stamp, and went inside the warm building.

I avoided the lady selling raffle tickets and the guy selling eyeglass cleaner, and went directly to the West wall, where I had seen the Model 17-4, along with two Model 18s yesterday. The seller's wife was at the table, and she knew nothing about the guns. The .22 caliber revolvers were not there. I asked the lady where her husband might be, and finally found him trying to negotiate a deal on a Winchester lever action rifle from another seller. He had sold all three rimfire Smith & Wesson revolvers. My hopes for a K-22 were melted like the winter sleet turning to water outside.

I decided to stay, have some coffee, and chat with friends. Who knows what might get zip tied at the front door and come trundling through the show, and I still had cash in hand. Sadly, the weather was still frigid, and people in North Louisiana are loathe to venture out in 30 degree weather. The traffic was minimal. I dug through a beater holster box and found several beater holsters for $2 each. At the bottom of the box I found a set of pre-war S&W grips in decent shape. I asked, and the guy selling said fifteen bucks. I countered ten. He said OK. I paid my money and placed everything in a sack.

I spotted a S&W Model 10-5 with a two inch barrel, in about 90% remaining finish. The seller was wanting $225. I might have purchased it, except I found a much nicer one for $200 at the last gun show. Out of curiosity, I located the new metal and plastic M&P, and handled it. It seemed to be very slick feeling, almost like it had a coating of Armorall on it. The new M&P's asking price, in .40S&W was $529. It did not seem to be bad as plastic pistols go, and I guess I'm softening a bit on the M&P name useage. I stopped by the little I frame Smith & Wesson Model of 1903 2nd Change I had fondled the previous day. I offered the seller an even $200 out the door. He declined my offer, so I put the gun down, and moved on. The .32 Long cartridge would be tough to find anyway. It was an interesting little revolver though, kind of like a half-scale M&P. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one that's affordable.

I left this gunshow without buying a gun. I missed out on the K-22 revolver I had eventually decided to buy. I did get a couple of deals though, and and I have gun money to stash away until next time. That's a good thing.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bought a barely used K-17 in 1967. But living in NJ (then) meant fewer and fewer shooting ranges, and I finally packed the .22 off to a friend in CO, who was puting together a S&W collection. On visits, I'd get to use EVERY gun he had (up to a .44mag, then). But the K-17 began to develop problems - the cylinder wasn't lining up with the forcing cone! He traded the gun to a gunsmith for some work on another pistol. Good luck with your search! hw4892

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,
Check out the big show in Tulsa the first weekend in April. I've seen 3 or 4 of them each time I've been there.
Only paid $300 for mine.
Dennis

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are all Model 17's K22s, or is it the other way around, or something else? I bought a Model 17-4 for last year's Buy A Gun Day gun, and I've been so thrilled with it I'm selling my Single Six...

10:09 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

All K framed smith & Wessons in .22 long rifle are technically K-22s. For some purists the K-22 is a pre-1957 gun, as K-22 was a designation of a specific revolver that later recieved a model number. Thus, both the Model 17 and model 18 are technically K-22s.

For me, I want my K-22 to be pinned, recessed, with diamond magnas, and 5 screws. If I can find a Smith revolver that will shoot .22 long rifle in my price range I would e happy though!

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'know, about 3 nanoseconds after I put that comment up it dawned on me about the K frame and .22LR = K22. Hey, it's been a long weekend... :)

Thanks for the more detailed explanation, though - I thought there was more to it than just the frame size...

Good luck with your search - it's a great gun, that's for certain!

10:42 PM  
Blogger hdhunter58 said...

i have my grandpas k-22 magnum, i even have the recipt where he bought it at steinburgs in baton rouge for 87 bucks(with shells) and i have all 5 boxes of shells. he bought it in 1963.i cant find a lot out about the k-22 magnum. i think it has been fired 6 times,i have never shot it...should i? mike in cenla

12:52 AM  
Blogger hdhunter58 said...

i have my grandpas k-22 magnum, he bought it new in 1963 for 82 bucks with shells, i have the recipt from steinburgs in baton rouge, i have the 5 boxes of shells too, it may have been shot 6 times and is mint,i cant find a lot of info on the magnum k-22, i think it is a masterpiece. i have never shot it, should i? mike in cenla

1:03 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Mike, whether to shoot it is a very personal decision. Consider that you cannot take it with you, and at some point, someone will shoot it. It may as well be you. Enjoy the gun! That is what they were made for!

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought a K-22. It's my first. I've shot alot of S&Ws in my Law Enforcement career but never really looked at the K-22. I was given Ed McGiver's FAST AND FANCY REVOLVER SHOOTING book for father's day and he recommended a K-22. After reading and looking at some of the pictures in the book I decided I had to practice this kind of shooting and went out and found me one. What a beautiful revolver. The best I can make out from looking at everything I can see on the net places it post war to early 1950s. Pinned barrel, 6 in. diamond grips with sharper top portion, 100000 ser. number range. The side plate appears to never have been touched. I pulled off only one side of the grip and realized it appeared that had never been off. I put it back on. If Ed McGivern's K-22 had 200,000 rounds through it and shot the group shown in the pictures, I will be a happy camper. I might just get rid of the rest of my guns.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home