A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, March 10, 2006

Reclaiming a Victory Model

I first saw my Smith & Wesson Victory M&P on the Pawn Shop Circuit. It was far from perfect. It had a sticking action, a missing lanyard loop, and the wrong grips. I was able to purchase the old revolver for $150, so I took it home to troubleshoot it. The gun had been dip blued. The sticking action was caused by a bent triggerguard. At some point, this gun had been used to adjust someone's attitude. I removed the trigger and filed it's underside until it cleared the triggerguard and no longer stuck in place.
I had some old faux stag grips in my parts bin, so the diamond magnas were removed in favor of stag. I shot the old war horse this way for a while, but it just did not seem right. I began a search for the proper wood and a lanyard ring.
Today, my old Victory M&P looks like it has lived a rough but full life. The refinish is worn, the walnut is dented and chipped, and there is freckling appearing in places. Like an old armoir that has collected some scars through the years, this revolver has character. It's reliable, and a gun that can stand some rough handling. For $150, that ain't bad. I'm pleased to own it.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damned fine firearm.

Glad you rescued it.

I'm building a BAG fund, just so I can emulate you and rescue a nice wheelgun from languishing on a pawn shop shelf.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks just like the ones we were given for Shore Patrol.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sveet!

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just acquired a US Navy Victory myself. It is one solid revolver. Can't wait to shoot it!!

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where can you find a replacement lanyard loop for a Victory Model?

4:45 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Numrich has them.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home