A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, March 02, 2009

Taming a Trigger

I was out shooting my Smith & Wesson Model 15-9 today, and I know it will shoot better than I am allowing it to. Click to enlargeThe Model 15-9 is a Heritage gun, but it is also built by the Performance Center, and has a Doug Turnbull color case hardened frame.

Back when the Heritage revolvers first came on the market, Smith & Wesson collectors sneered and scowled. The color case hardened guns were derided as kinda old timey guns that never really existed. I purchased this one as they were being liquidated at greatly reduced prices. The first time I shot it, I was amazed at it's accuracy, and the gold bead on the gut hook front sight actually grew on me after a while. The smallish wooden grips were the revolver's weakness though, so I replaced them with a Hogue Monogrip. The result was a colorful 38 special revolver with a tapered barrel and the tolerances and accuracy one expects from the Smith & Wesson Performance Center.

I shot the blue, brown and black wheelgun at ten yards, alongside my Ruger 50th Anniversary MKII. I shot the Model 15-9 in double action, as I usually shoot revolvers. Click to enlargeMany people, in a quest for greater accuracy out of a double action revolver, will shoot it in single action only.

Shooting double action offers several benefits. First and foremost, if one carries a revolver, chances are it will be used in double action if it is ever needed. The ability to get consistent hits with the long heavy trigger pull is important. Secondly, if a shooter can learn to shoot accurately with a double action revolver, then they can shoot almost any handgun accurately. The double action revolver trigger is that demanding. Taming it becomes a endless challenge of maintaining proficiency.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful pistols Xavier. Where is a good place to order MKII wood grips without a thumb rest? I have a MKII that I would like to get a set for to replace the stock black plastic grips.

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this post, I have a SW 19 .357 and do run across accuracy issues when shooting, I normally shoot with a 92FS and when switching to the revolvers that accuracy issue comes to play along with the recoil.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still cannot decide between the M19 and the M15, as to which best represents Smith and Wesson's most handsome design of the classic period. I have found, though, that all of them are accurate as the rule, and not the exception--mostly models 14, 15 and 67.

My M67 has definitely had some action work done--but is not too much outside the norm--and as far as double-action work goes, it is easier than either the short, taught pull of my 442 snubbie, or the sledgehammer-like impact of my 686.

My M67 is one of the few wheelguns I have that can compete with a Dan Wesson for accuracy. One day I was having a fine time with a couple of lead bullet loads, so I decided to move the target out to 25 yards. Much to my surprise, this did not adversely effect the size of the groups, which remained under 1.5 inches. (This was all unsupported fire while standing.)

My particular solution is the Tyler T-grip. I don't care for rubberized surfaces on any gun, especially where they will catch on clothes. I also find that "ergonomic" grips tend not to give me the little-finger support I need for double-action work.

12:08 PM  
Blogger dropdownstairs said...

completly non-sequitur but
Happy anniversary 191!
On March 3rd, 1911 a torture test was conducted. The test consisted of having each gun fire 6000 rounds

100 shots would be fired and then
cooled for 5 minutes.

1000 rounds, the pistol would be cleaned and oiled.
The gun would then be rusted in acid or submerged in sand and mud
On March 29th, 1911, the 1911 .45 was selected as the official sidearm of the Armed Forces of U.S.A.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home