A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Clark Custom Carry Piece

I'm starting to become anxious to receive the call to drive over to Shoot Out Lane and pick up my Smith & Wesson Model 649. Back in July 2009, I dropped it off with Jim Clark for some remodeling. I purchased the little snubbie a few years back from CDNN. I think I paid about $230 for it. It looked like it had hit the concrete a few times, but the crown was good, and it shot reliably and as accurately as I could muster from any snubbie.

The plan was to give the gun a Meltdown treatment and a bead blast finish. Then, a tritium XS shotgun front sight would be dovetailed onto the muzzle. The rear notch would be hogged out to match the front sight. The lone example that Jim had to show me had the topstrap checkered ala a Model 27. I liked that too. I'm thinking I will stick with the Uncle Mike's grips.

I'm wishing now that I had weighed the gun to see how much metal is removed in the Meltdown. Perhaps when I pick it up, a reader can help me with that.....

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

California is a curse. I'd like to purchase a carry weapon... S&W 432.

Unfortunately it's not on the CA "approved list". This is truly the nammy state.

12:26 AM  
Anonymous WW Paul said...

I have always thought the 649 was a sharp looking gun. I'd be interested in hearing how you like the sights.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Montie said...

Xavier, this might just prompt me to send them one of my own snubbies. I can't wait to see how it comes out.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I very nearly lived at Clark's when I lived in Shreveport many years ago, and I carried a 649 as a backup until they told us we couldn't carry wheel guns on the job any more. Still my weekend gun. Sorry to see you shutting down just after I found your blog. Maybe you could post a coupe of pictures of snubbie before you turn out the lights?

-embycil

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read with interest you article about the Clark Meltdown on a 1911 and wondered if they did revolvers. Would sure enjoy seeing pics of your 649 when it comes back.

Thanks for your stories.

5:06 AM  
Anonymous WW Paul said...

Did you pick up the 649 yet?

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home