A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, May 06, 2010

Pawn Shop Circuit: If the Price is not Right.......

I strolled into Neil's pawn shop today, and I found the usual firearms underneath the glass. Nothing special. We talked a bit about concealed carry classes. Neil was up for a renewal, and he wanted to go to a class that had a more authorative legal session. I recommended a local class that the DA assists with on Saturdays. It's hard to get much more authorative than that.

I looked over the jewelry for Mother's Day and we talked some more. Finally, we drifted back to the guns and I noticed that what I thought was the same old Charter Arms Undercover was not. In Neil's case was a Smith & Wesson Model 30, with a pinned barrel and a battered finish. I asked to see it.

The little 32 Long revolver locked up nicely, and appeared to have been a purse gun or a pocket gun for a long time. Whoever owned it did not believe in holsters though. The finish was comprised more of bare metal and rust than blue. Neil had it priced at $219.

"How much?" I asked.

"For you, $200." Neil started, as he shifted his cigar to the other side of his mouth.

"I don't know," I said. "It's a 32, and I don't shoot that. Plus, I pretty much quit buying guns."

"You have been pretty much a stranger," Neil responded. "How about $175?"

"Let me think about it." I countered, and Neil placed the revolver back in the case.

"I think I got into that one for too much," said Neil.

"Yeah, probably so. I don't have that luxury though," I countered.

"Hey, let my show you this one from the back," said Neil, and he disappeared behind the office door. When he returned he had a familiar blue box in his hands. He opened it to reveal a pinned Model 15 with diamond grips. "What year do you think this is?"

"Probably right at 1957-58," I replied. "Is it coming out?" The box matched the gun, but somebody had written 1973 inside the lid.

"Not yet. Want me to call you when it does?"

I looked the gun over. It was laying on a rag in the box without the tools. It was a four screw gun. It had just enough wear at the muzzle and yoke to take it out of collector status for most people, but not enough on the cylinder to put it firmly into the shooter category for me. "Sure, dial me up when it's available," I replied. "I'll be interested for the right price."

"I think I might be able to do that on this one," said Neil.

"Good deal." We shook hands, and I left for home with a four screw Combat Masterpiece on my mind.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger netfotoj said...

We had a minty S&W 15 2" snubby at the gun shop where I work and I hated to see it sold but it was too pricy for me. Good luck on your future acquisition. Wish I could find a shooter that I can afford.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get the Model 30! Great little gun, great for introducing people to shooting.

9:18 PM  
Blogger THE FISHING MUSICIAN said...

X, I have a Model 67 with a 4" barrel. Do you know of a source to obtain a 2.5" barrel for this gun, or failing that, a good gunsmith that could cut the barrel down to
3" for me?

I'd love to have a 3" Ladysmith M65and would gladly like to work a trade for my near immaculate M67 if you ever tire of yours, as I believe I read a post sometime back that you bought one.

Also, what type of concealed holsters do you use for your 4" Smith K frames?

El Fisho

Thanks and I always enjoy the blog.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Rorschach said...

I sense an infection of gunnitis coming over ol' Xav.

11:22 AM  
Blogger All The Way Ray said...

I'd definitely take you along for gun shopping.

5:14 PM  
Blogger P said...

32 long. Load it with a small mag pistol primer and a single ought round ball. No powder and you will get 420 fps for indoor shooting.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home