A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Pawn Shop Circuit: Curios and Laser Sights

I drove over to Neil's shop, and found that he still has four of his black tactical pistols. No interesting stuff. He did have a hedge trimmer I might consider.

Dave had the same old Rossi on the shelf, as well as the Charter Arms Undercover. He had brought out a little C&R revolver though. It was a spur triggered thing in .32S&W that had "Pioneer" rollmarked across the topstrap. Dave wanted $125 for it. He must have thought he saw me coming. I have an interest in vintage CCW pieces. If the pistol was in a common caliber, and shootable, I might go that, but in .32S&W, it is really a curio to me, and as such, not worth more than $50. We chatted a bit, he tried to convince me, but I held firm. So did Dave. It's no skin off my nose, I hope he finds a buyer. I figure he still thinks he found a looney in me when I bought that old Colt .22 pistol for $250.

When I reached Amber's shop, she had a Smith & Wesson 6906 with a cheapo laser sight attached to the trigger guard and the switch wire dangling. Amber asked how the laser sight worked, so I showed her. I explained that pretty lasers are no subsitute for learning to use the sights, because accuracy in shooting is 10% sight alignment and 90% trigger control. If you can't shoot with iron sights, you won't do any better with a laser. Amber is wanting to learn to shoot. I encouraged her to sign up for one of my classes and to go after her concealed carry permit. I'm hoping she will, she needs to pack heat with the business she's in.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Pawpaw said...

90% trigger control. You are right about that, especially with the small frame revolvers. Short triggers and small frames make for stiff springs and small levers.

10:18 AM  
Blogger LDF said...

While I completely agree that trigger control is critical, laser sights do come in handy for certain applications. The tiny Seecamp .32 ACP, for example, has no sights in order to keep it as smoothe as possible for carrying it in a pocket. (The idea is to simply point and align your barrel with the target at very close range.) Since the .32ACP is such a puny round, shot placement is critical. The laser "pocket slipper" device makes it a little easier to quickly pinpont your target (though admittedly if you jerk the trigger instead of squeeze, you will still end up missing).

4:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why didn't you buy that little gun?

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home