A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, November 04, 2005

Pawn Shop Circuit: Holy Grails and Cat Toys

This morning Neil still had three of his black tactical pistols. He added a Smith & Wesson 629 with a 8&3/8 inch barrel to his line-up. Neil thought I might be intertested, but for what I do, it's a big chunk of money for a gun that eats expensive ammo. Nice, but I'll pass. He was wanting $479 for it. Fair enough. It will be somebody's Holy Grail.

Across town, Dave had pulled no new handguns out of hock. He had a Remington Nylon 66 he was trying to sell to a hunter type. I have heard about those rifles, so I kept my mouth shut. Dave was busy, and had nothing new anyway, so I hit the road.

Over the river, Amber still had her S&W pistol with the cheap laser. She was still pondering whether to take a CCW course. I showed her how to annoy her cat with the laser. Amber was grateful, her cat was not.

When the pawn shop circuit doesn't produce, I remember the rush I felt when Dave pulled an undervalued Colt Woodsman 1st Series out of his case to show me recently. It helps me keep looking. I remember a year ago when I passed up a Browning Buckmark at Dave's shop. That was a mistake. It was an early pistol with the plastic skip checkered grips.Whitney Wolverine I have a fondness for .22 plinker pistols, and I still regret not snagging that one. One day I am going to walk into a pawn shop and find a Whitney Wolverine under the glass for $250 or less. Now, I know that two manufacturers have "brought back" the Wolverine recently, but those pistols are a little like Elvis on his comeback tour. The original had an aluminum frame, and was called the world's most pointable pistol by no less than Rex Applegate. Plus it was carried by Lea Thompson in Red Dawn. I want the real deal, and I want to get it on a pawn shop find. That is part of the fun. I do not need this pistol, I just want it. I want the thrill of the find to come with it though. You just can't get that thrill on GunBroker or other auction sites. So, I keep searching.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tam said...

"I want the real deal, and I want to get it on a pawn shop find. That is part of the fun. I do not need this pistol, I just want it. I want the thrill of the find to come with it though. You just can't get that thrill on GunBroker or other auction sites. So, I keep searching."


Thank gawd someone else really gets it!

One of these days, I'm probably going to buy a polaroid and start "Catch and Release" gun collecting. ;)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

"buy a polaroid and start "Catch and Release" gun collecting"

:-) Damned if we ain't doing that now.........except we aren't releasing!

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home