A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Reasons I Like a J Frame in My Pocket

1. It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
2. I never have to wonder if a round is chambered.
3. It will fire with the muzzle pressed into ribs.
4. There is no safety to disengage.
5. I never have to worry about keeping it covered.
6. I can discreetly have my hand on my gun while assessing a situation.

My old beat up Smith & Wesson Model 38 wears grips that were given to me by a patient who was a State Trooper. I once compared it to a modern S&W scandium gun at the gun counter, and it was every bit as light in the informal lefty righty hand heft test. The bodyguard style frame rides in a pocket superbly, and cannot snag on the draw.

I will often carry a 1911 if I take time to strap on a holster, and have a cover garment. All to often, I just take the little J frame from the hook it hangs on in it's holster, slip in my pocket and go.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me. Here's hoping you never need it.

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My pocket carry is a S&W 442.

I totally agree with you.

My speedloaders (2 each) are from Safariland.

They have a button in the middle that unlatches the rounds as the button is pressed against the post in the middle of the cylinder, so all you have to do is push the rounds into the cylinder until the click.

Not push them in and twist the knob on the back.

A little bit different, but I think it's smoother...

6:04 PM  
Blogger Firehand said...

My dad gave me a model 36 years ago, and it's travelled many miles with me. They've definately got a place.

8:15 PM  
Blogger trainer said...

Yeah, my favorite also. I took my Mod 36 and swapped in a stainless barrel and cylinder from a Mod 60. I put a quick-clip and Tyler T-grips on it, and it is the ultimate grab and go.

You can see it here....http://www.the-trainer.com/blog/smithlaptop.jpg

I'm getting ivory grips with an inlaid rose, and engraving 'DAD' on the side plate. I'm giving it to my daughter.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

SweeeeeeeeeeeT!

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Smith 638. I'm also a big fan of the "Bodyguard". IMHO it's a great CCW choice.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J-frames are great pocket guns, even without a holster. I've got a full hammer version (M36) and Centennial version (M640). Would love to get a Bodyguard version one day, and/or a lightweight one.

Perpster
THR

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my Model 38 as well; my only wish is for better sights, but at 2 feet to 5 yards, center-of-mass hits are never a problem.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous BL said...

I've never like pocket carry without some kind of trigger cover. Do you ever worry about that trigger?

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home