A Nurse with a Gun

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Whatever Happened to Eddie?

Disgraced New Orleans Police Superintendent and infamous hopolophobe Eddie Compass has officially moved on, trading police work corruption and hurricane stories excuses for a security job with a hotel group in New Orleans.

"I have had a lot of time to reflect on my life," Compass said. "I had gotten numerous job offers, some in the academic world, as the chief of police in different cities, some that were very, very lucrative," he said. "But its not about the money. Its about being a part of my citys revitalization." At a press conference to announce Compass new position, he asked not to be asked questions regarding the Police Department. "That's a part of my past," he said, "And I'd like to leave it there, in my past."

Patrick Quinn, co-owner of the New Orleans Fine Hotels group, said Compass is a welcome addition to its team. "After godliness and cleanliness, there is safety," Quinn said. "We know how important it is to keep our customers and clients safe . . . . so we wanted to find the very best guy we could to support what (local police) are doing to keep the city safe."

In accepting the new position, Compass is leaving behind a storied sullied 27-year rise to the top of the New Orleans Police Department, and a tumultuous end of days that came abruptly on the heels of Hurricane Katrina. Several people close to Compass have said Mayor Ray Nagin forced him from power. Compass has yet to name Nagin publicly as the man behind his resignation. Compass resigned a month after Katrina nearly broke the back of the city and its 1,700 1000 member Police Department. Desertions, officers alleged to have joined looters in pillaging and a pair of police suicides signaled a department unable to cope with the crisis that gripped the city.

Compass drew personal criticism when he emotionally recounted stories about rampant crime in the wake of the storm that eventually were proved untrue. "I'm not upset, not bitter," Compass said of his last weeks as a New Orleans cop. "I'm just looking forward to a new challenge . . . . I think this is my future," he said. "I'm a part of New Orleans. So I'm going to be a part of making it better."

Good luck Eddie. No, you may NOT check my bag.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Pawpaw said...

It will be interesting to see how much crime occurs in that hotel. or whether, in fact, the hotel itself is in business for very long.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They better keep an eye on the till!

9:06 AM  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

...Or whether the Hotel becomes the epicenter for a new crime-gang. Al Capone owned a couple hotels, didn't he?

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect the security thing is just a cover. They are actually getting their money’s worth since they can terminate their entire house keeping staff because nobody can clean out a room faster than Eddie or one of his boys.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home