A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Pawn Shop Circuit: A Highway Patrolman

Neil still had the Winchester 30/30, not surprising, half way through deer season. I started to look it over again, but I did not want to appear interested, since I really wasn't. The Colt Trooper had disappeared again. Neil wouldn't say whether it had been purchased or was in back again, so the owner must have paid the interest on his loan and saved his gun one more time.

At Dave's place, I spied a dull finished large frame revolver under the glass among the tactical tupperware. I asked Dave to pull it out for me. Highway PatrolmanHe removed a cherry Smith & Wesson Model 28-2 with a 4 inch barrel. I would rate the gun at 98%. It only had a faint turn line, and a line on the recoil shield from opening and closing the cylinder. It had an N prefix to the serial, placing it post 1969. The revolver checked out using Jim March's Revolver Checkout. Pinned and recessed. That's what I like! The Highway Patrolman was S&W's answer to the police demand for a high quality low budget N frame .357 in April, 1954. The Highway Patrolman is everything the S&W Model 27 is, without the high polish and ornate topstrap checkering. As a result, the 4 inch Model 28 was a gun that saw a lot of holster carry. To find one with a four inch barrel in pristine condition is unusual. Dave was asking $239 for this gun. I did not dicker. The price was very fair. I paid it.

I didn't go by Amber's place today.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger AlanDP said...

I found one of these a few years ago, with a 6-inch barrel, for $300. It is an excellent firearm.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the Highway Patrolman is selling for $350 to $400 here. You did real good!

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought an unfired 6 inch for 250.00 it"s a great gun.

12:41 AM  
Anonymous DC Handgun Info said...

A pawn shop near Washington, DC, has one listed at $500. A friend with a 2007 Gun Price (or Value) Guide says it's worth about $350. I might ask 'em to go $400 for it. They take layaway. Keep up the good work.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home