A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Seven by Seven

I see I got tagged by a Pistol Packing Mama a while back to do the Seven thing.....The old man might be slow, but he's willing.

7 Things to do before I die:
* Visit my old ship, the USS Midway in San Diego.
* Walk my daughter down the aisle.
* Own a Yost~Bonitz 1911
* Dive the Great Barrier Reef again, this time with my daughter.
* Eat lizard with aborigones in the Northern Territory under a sky full of stars, again.
* Drink a beer in Barrio Baretto, again.
* Tell my wife I love her, again, always.

7 Things I cannot do:
* Cross a suspension bridge in an enclosed vehicle.
* Carry a tune without a wheelbarrow.
* Tolerate a phone call at supper time.
* Eat balut or kimchee.
* Genuflect.
* Be late.
* Touch my toes without bending my knees.

7 Things I wish I had done:
* Made a pass a Princess Diana when I met her.
* Bought gemstones instead of massages and beer in Thailand.
* Had a gun engraved in the Philipines
* Kept my father's pre-64 Model 70 Winchester with a Leupold scope and the stock he finished himself. I kept our home instead. Bad choice.
* Kept my mother's Smith & Wesson K22 Outdoorsman.
* Saved more silver dollars.
* Put a flaming sack of crap on Michael Moore's porch and ring his doorbell.

7 Things that attract me to the outdoors
* Pine trees.
* Fresh breezes.
* Morning dew.
* Stars.
* Birds singing.
* Leaves rustling.
* Blasting the hell out of targets with a 12 gauge shotgun while running through a course of fire.

7 Things I say most often:
* Damn.
* Shit hot!
* Make it happen.
* Gotcha corn!
* Check this out!
* Tell 'em I'm not here.
* Where's my remote?

7 Movies I could watch over and over again:
* Band of Brothers
* The Right Stuff
* Reservoir Dogs
* Gettysburg
* The Ghost & The Darkness
* Kill Bill
* Homeward Bound

7 People I want to join in, too
* Zippianna
* Stefani
* Real E
* Nguyen Huu Huy
* Bingyang Hou
* Tammy

There. In case you wondered, I went random on that..........

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were a Midway Sailor? Super shit hot! Discovery or History Channel had a show on her a couple of weeks ago. My wife gave me heck for getting choked up and a tear in my eye...

I was in AIMD, IM-3 division, shop 8 (the 8-balls!) from '86 to '89.

The Old Grey Lady has a special place in my heart, too.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Golly Gee Damn! I was VFA151 from 1987-1991. Switchbox Baby! My shop, 151 frames, was just aft of the firedoors port side.

Were you onboard for the wave of 1990?

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vigilante's, huh?

Nope, I left in '89. But we had a wave that pushed in the door to the starbord bow BPDMS launcher during RefTra in '88 or '89, whenever we did that RefTra. I was an investigator for repair locker 1A, so that RefTra was an interesting time.

My shop was on the 02 level, port side. The IM-3 division shops started just aft of the forward expansion joint. There were two cypher locked doors to get into the main part where my shop was. We had acouple of other shops scattered aroung the ship.

If you've got the 87-89 cruisebook, I'm the Prince of a guy on page 131.

My last command was an EA-6B outfit (VAQ-131, the Lancers) and we deployed on the Connie with VFA-151. They had a guy ditch his bird on a bolter, so we started calling them VFA-150. 'Cause, you know, they lost one... The guy survived.

Small world!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Yep, page 131, there you are! For whatever reason I was not on board for the squadron pics in that cruisebook. I must have been on a Det to PI or something.....tough luck eh?

I do remember 207, the bird pictured on page 281 going down. LCdr.Conrad (also not pictured), our maintenance O was driving it, and it fodded both engines about 100 feet off the port cat. The plane guard picked up what scrap they could, and sent it over in a single triwall. Conrad punched out about a split second prior to total mid air destruction. He was pretty pissed about the whole affair.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home