A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, December 10, 2005

System Crashes

"During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output (BIOS) system version on this computer does not match the specifications for the processor that is installed on your computer. This can occur when a newer processor is installed on an older system board or older BIOS. Using a BIOS that does not support the installed processor can result in Windows system crashes. Please contact your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for an updated version of BIOS for your computer's processor."

I have been computating along for over seven years on a system that would make Frankenstien proud. You can make anything fit with a Dremel tool and imagination. I still retain my original motherboard, but that is it. It appears as though my thrift and creativity may catch up with me soon. I am having more frequent crashes, and it's starting to become more and more irritating. I may be in the market for a newer, state of the art system soon.

I'm going to try to ride this one out, and perform surgery if needed......If my posts become less frequent, that is why.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can see if the mommyboard manufacturer has a BIOS update that will support the newer proc.

If you know the mommyboard manufacturer, and if they still have a website...

9:58 AM  
Blogger Jerry The Geek said...

I know you're valiantly working with what you've got, and making headway. I did the same thing for ten years and the last year I spent part of every day cursing my system and, alternatively, my reluctance to turn the problem over to someone else.

I finally got a good deal on a super system from tigerdirect.com, and found that the system paid for itself in about ten minutes.

There's something about a PC that you don't have to do ANYTHING with that just naturall creates cheezy grins on the average Geek. If I had been a hardware geek, of course, I would have rebuilt that sucker in a heartbeat. But I'm an Applications Geek, and having my primary purpose interrupted to deal with BIOS and other esoteric problems is not a challenge, it's a pain in the butt.

Just a thought, it may not be the answer for you. For me, if the puter sucks, it can now and forevermore go suck in the closet while I play with its replacement.

PS:
Die, AOL and QWEST, DIE!

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home