A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Gun Show Night Excursions

After dinner tonight, I excused myself to return to the gunshow. The rain had ceased, and I had a couple of hours to wander the aisles. Not many people were there, the rain had chased them away. The "rare" Model 28 chambered in .44 Special had sold. The Seecamp Commander was still there.

As I was digging through a pile of holsters, someone poked me in the ribs. I turned to see a nurse I used to work with in the hospital. Along with her smile, Leigh carried a brown paper sack. We made a bit of small talk, and I remarked that I never expected to see her there. She laughed and said that she needed to sell a gun, but did not really know how. I asked to see it.

Leigh pulled an absolutely flawless Smith & Wesson Model 10-5 snubbie from her paper bag. Even the backstrap was pristine. There was a little soot on the front of the cylinder to show that it had been fired at one time. I asked what she wanted for it, and she said she did not know. She said she had found it in her mother's dresser drawer after her death. I gave Leigh my condolences, and told her that any of the dealers would likely offer her $100 or so for her gun.

I asked her if she wanted to keep it, after all, it was her mother's gun. Leigh said no. So, I offered her $200. I had long ago decided that I would pay up to $200 for a Model 10 snubbie if one ever surfaced. Leigh asked me if I was sure. I assured her I was, and broke out the cash. Then Leigh asked if it was legal. To ease her fears I waved over a Sheriff's deputy I knew for her to ask. Lester assured Leigh the sale was legal and she would not end up in Angola. Money and property changed hands.

At last, I had located a S&W Model 10 snubbie, and the irony is, it is so nice I am loathe to carry it! It is a 100% original gun, with a pinned barrel, and a deep lustrous blue that would make the Pacific jealous. I left the show with a spring in my step, and found the stars sparkling outside.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it's not too personal, how many working guns make up the Xavier Collection these days?

Three additions in one weekend, and yet Bloomberg thinks that should take you at least 9 months.

Nice choices, I especially like the Trooper .22lr

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

$200?

***$200***???

One dealer had a POS Charter Arms for $160 at the gun show *I* went to today...

Some guys have all the luck... ;)

(Seriously, though, that is a GREAT deal on a GREAT gun.)

11:00 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

how many working guns make up the Xavier Collection these days?

I ain't counting! To me, my wife's dishes all look the same. Hopefully my guns look very similar as well!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Oh, and on Monday, a few trade fodder guns will go out on consignment.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you must be living right

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, post them on here and you might get some bites from us locals:-)

12:00 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

That's so good it's almost providential.

I'm sure your friend is almost as glad that it ended up in a friend's hands as you are!

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Lord, that Smith is beautiful!

How do you have such luck?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Tam said...

Nice catch!


To the poster who asked "how many working guns make up the Xavier Collection these days?":

I'm sure that Xavier has woked as diligently as I have to be able to answer that question with a truthful "I don't really know." ;)

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gentleman! It was noble of you to give her top dollar.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timmeeee: What a sharp dealer will pay an uneducated person for a used gun at a gun show has NO bearing on the final sale price said dealer will get.

I'd discount the $150 price and the $500 price and say the average price is what? $300? Take the dealer's hopeful profit out and you're where? $200? Xavier gave her the $$ he had told himself was his uipper limit. She was happy with it.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home