A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, January 19, 2006

The New Military & Police

The new fangled Smith & Wesson M&P is beginning to hit the market now. It comes in 40S&W, 9mm and 357Sig.

This may be an excellent pistol. This post is not about the pistol though. Call me old fashioned. This post is about a company using their legacy of fine firearms which they can no longer produce to label new products.

The Smith & Wesson M&P is a wheelgun. Six rotating chambers. Blued steel and walnut. Not plastic. Not reciprocating action. This plastic fantastic is not the Smith & Wesson M&P's descendent, but rather an imposter that would take on a mantle it does not deserve. In many ways it reminds me of a certain Massachusetts senator prancing around with his hero buttons in a 2004 Presidential bid. For me, that is enough to turn off any enthusiasm for this pistol.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to refer to my revolvers as "steam powered." Reciprocating action is perfect for brass shuckers!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps they should issue an official name change:

M&P semi-autos shall now bear the S&W mantle "M&P". M&P revolvers shall henceforth be known as "M&P (Retired)".

Perp

3:46 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Though the M&P name is a bit irritating, it looks like it'll be a solid pistol...

I like the interchangeable backstrap, and the sear deactivation lever, while annoying, will probably save a couple of non-gunnie types from putting holes in themselves.

I like the design of the slide stop, too. Dear ol' Dad has a tendancy to lock back the slide of his Glock 17 during firing... Bad mojo!

Couldn't they have called it the M&P2, M&P2k, Smith Service Auto, or *something else*? This otherwise decent-looking pistol has points against it right out of the gate...

4:07 PM  
Blogger Les Jones said...

Xavier, I'm afraid there's more bad news. S&W is introducing an M&P15 AR-15 pattern rifle.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Pawpaw said...

Oh, they can call it whateverthehell they want to call it, we all know what an M&P looks like.

And that ain't it.

I think I'll stay with my 1911.

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nope. cannot agree. shot one, bought one. best 40cal i've ever owned and my prior list includes the Glock 23, the Sig P229SAS, and the Sig P239SAS. the three that I don't own anymore had much greater perceived recoil than the S&W M&P. The new M&P is much like an XD, which I do own in 9mm sc. perfect? nope. worthy of the name M&P? S&W can name their new baby anything they want. they appear to be flying off the shelf.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home