A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: A Pimp and a Carbine

I swung back into Amber's place today to see what she had coming out of hock. She had hinted that I should check back quickly a couple of days ago. She had been quite emphatic about that. "What could it be?" I wondered as I turned into the parking lot. A Mexican M&P? A GI 1911? Amber, of course, could not say until the item was out of hock.
Once inside, Amber proudly displayed a Walther TPH in .22LR. It had walnut grips and a stippling job on the front and back strap. It was clean, and I looked it over well. She was asking $279 for it. I made the comment that some pimp is probably missing his gat right about now. Amber made mention that the Glock 26 was no longer in her case. She was correct. It was gone. I started to ask, but I just quietly handed her back the stainless Walther. There are some things you just don't want to know.

Dave had an interesting old pump shotgun on his rack for $99. It was a Western Field, put out by Montgomery Wards, and had a model number of 30-SB562A. I checked an online cross reference guide, and could not find a match. It looked like a Browning copy to me, but what do I know? It looked like it might shoot too........

Neil had a Marlin .22 rifle out that had a M1 carbine imitation stock. That was an interesting little rifle. It had a tube magazine, and the reciever of a Model 99, but a shorter barrel, and the M1 type stock. It had a cheapo scope, and Neil was wanting $79 for it. I might be back for that one.

Update: I found Dave's Western Field shotgun on the internet. It looks like I might be swinging back in......
Western field Model 30-SB562A

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Phelps said...

I have a Western Field, but it is a Mossberg 550 clone. I bet that one is too. (Mine has a 30" full choke barrel, too. Niiiiiiiice.)

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did some pawn shopping yesterday too. I picked up a mint hi cap makarov in .380. I prefer the 9x18 round so I'll be swapping the barrel next week.

5:33 PM  
Blogger david said...

Pick up the western field. I had one like it, a Stevens and it should be a take-down model, pull the pump back and it should have some ribbs on it to unscrew the magazine then pull the barrel and magazine down to sepetate the halfs.
Mine also had no disconect and you could fire it by holding the trigger back and pumping it.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. I have a Western Field 16 ga. pump action that looks very much like the one showing at the Collectors' site. It, however, has 'Browning' on the receiver, along with the Western Field logo. I'm looking for a new barrel for it. Where is the one you saw in the rack?

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOOKING FOR INFO ON A WESTERN FIELD M820A

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys have probably figured it out already, but here goes. The Wards Model 30 shotgun in question is a rebranded Stevens 520-30, and was designed by John Browning. Nice gun actually.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home