A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, January 06, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: A Rifle and a Shotgun

I made my rounds again today, stopping first at Neil's shop. I traded a Norinco copy of the Browning 22A for the Marlin copy of the M1 Carbine that Neil had on the rack.

The Marlin Model 99M1 is a short carbine with the same tubular magazine and action as the Marlin 99 and 99U. The main difference is the 99M1 has a wooden hand guard and an 18-inch barrel to make it look more like a US military M1 Carbine. Marlin introduced the 99M1 in 1964, in hopes that the resemblance to the US M1 carbine would appeal to the thousands of WW II veterans who had trained with and carried into combat the larger caliber US M1. The 99M1 was a success and over 160,000 were sold before production was discontinued in 1978. The one off Neil's rack came with a Simmon's 3-9X40 scope. I lost a little bit on the trade, because I had bought the Norinco in a fit of gottahavititis at a gun show. Cest la Vie.

Then I went to Dave's place and bought the Western Field Model 30. I paid a fresh Franklin for it, and took it home along with the Marlin.
Tonight, after work, I tore down the Marlin and cleaned years of grey gloop out of it. After a little lube, it was back in business. Hopefully it will feed ammo well at the range tomorrow. I have a friend who is very interested in the shotgun, and unfortunately, I'm one gun down on a trade with him. I'm going to have to clean it up and shoot it first though.

I didn't have time to see Amber today.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh...M1 Garands and M1 Caebine are 2 completely different firearms. Firing two different Cartridges from two different actions.

Top M1 Garand .30-06
Bottom M1 carbine .30 carbine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/sailorjim/firearms/Dscn5693.jpg

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

err.. carbine not caebine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/sailorjim/firearms/Dscn5693.jpg


[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/sailorjim/firearms/Dscn5693.jpg[/IMG]

2:44 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Thanks for the down and dirty education! All Garands changed to caebine.....er...carbine.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home