A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Oil Changes

I changed my oil this morning. My wife thinks I'm nuts to change my own oil. I have been waiting for a fair weather weekend for over a month to accomplish this task in my own driveway, in comfort. My day finally arrived today.

I've changed my own oil since I began to drive. It's not an economic imperative anymore, but it's a task that I enjoy. On a good day it takes me no more than ten minutes, and I have no mess that Gojo in my hands will not clean up. Once I'm done, a very specific task is taken care of for another 3000 miles. That gives me pleasure. My wife thinks it's a testosterone thing. For me, it's a simple matter of frustration. I can do the job in the time it takes me to drive to Quickie-Lube, and I do not have to listen to a nineteen year old grease monkey tell me twenty points that need his attention on my vehicle. I was once that young grease monkey. I know the deal. It's not a testosterone thing. It's a silverback gorilla thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Porta's Cat said...

I used to be able to do all the thing neccesay to keep one running, especially a standard shift.

Rebuilt plenty of carbs on the kitchen table, changed all the various pumps and alternators, pulled heads, changed bearings and brakes, etc., etc., etc.

Can't hardly do any of that anymore.

But, changing the oil does allow one to get "under the car" and see what is going on down there.

Had a moment of pride this weekned, actually. Sugar Cat bent my rear bumper down with the front of her car a few weeks back, and I finally got the time to address the problem on my truck. Broke out the 11/16'th's and the breakover bar, pulled the bumper off, took a torch to the supports and heated them to cherry, and bent them back straight with a Stilson. Rehung the bumper and it is good to go.

Felt like my grandpa for a while, and that is a good thing.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

There is an auto parts store with a used oil tank 5 minutes from my house. It's either Advance or Auto Zone, can't remember which.

I too have been doing my oil changes since I was a teenager.

I took my wife's Z-28 to a quicklube place once. That car was sooo low to the ground and the filter was poorly located to say the least. Well, they didn't tighten the oil filter. I discovered this the next day when I was 100 miles from home.

We don't have the Z-28 now, and we don't go to quick lubes.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Countertop said...

What do you do with the used oil??

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home