A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Jazz and Mad Women

I stopped by Dave's shop today to see if he had anything new. If a person were a guitar aficionado, North Louisiana would be the place to haunt the hock shops. I have seen many beautiful electric guitars and basses for sale since New Orleans was evacuated. Looking at Dave's guitar rack, a few more musical evacuees have had to pay their own rent. The Colt Army Special was back out. Dave's price was still $299. I passed.

Neil's Astra Constable and Heritage Rough Rider had not moved. While I was at Neil's pawn shop, a young woman brought in a chrome plated pistol that appeared to be a Lorcin or a Bryco from my vantage point. She also had a box of 9mm ammo. She became quite upset when Neil would not buy it from her. She declared that every other pawn shop accepted her photocopied driver's license and that her husband was an idiot for buying the gun in the first place. Neil was unimpressed by her histrionics, and kept his eyes on the gun as well as her hands. I kept my hand on the J frame in my pocket. Finally, once she had spit invectives throughout the shop, she stomped out of the shop. She slammed the door to her ratty pick-up truck, and spun gravel across the parking lot to announce her angry departure. Neil chuckled and picked up the phone to let Dave know what was on the way.

I did not have a chance to go by Amber's shop.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Sterno said...

Some people...

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a guitar buff, I wish you could do the same roundup of pawn shop finds for guitars as you do for guns:-) I may have to head over that way and see if I can snag me a few finds to stick on Ebay.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

To be honest, I know nothing about guitars. I can tell by looking that the ones that have appeared since the hurricaine are very high quality, and the prices reflect that. Some, like seven and eight string basses are up to four figures. All are gorgeous.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand what happened with the angry lady. Was she trying to pawn something and use a photocopy-of-a-licence as ID? Or was Neil simply unwilling to pay any money at all for a crappy gun?

8:55 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

To sell or pawn a gun you must first own the gun. Next you must have valid ID. It also helps to have a gun the other party sees as being lucrative.

10:14 PM  
Blogger shooter said...

something tells me we are either going to see that gun, or that lady on an episode of COPS.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home