A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, February 06, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: New Territory

I was in another town on business today, and I had the chance to stop in two unfamiliar pawn shops. The first shop had a Smith & Wesson M&P with a 6 inch barrel and no finish under the glass. I asked to examine it, and I was handed a sad piece that was so loose that the cylinder would rattle in lock-up. I held a business card against the recoil sheild, and peered down the barrel. I think there used to be some rifling in there somewhere. I asked the proprietor how much he wanted for it, and he said $275. Tarnation! I could not even begin to dicker with that kind of fantasy asking price. I handed him back his gun. I might have paid $75-100, but I would not have gone any higher.

I crossed the street to his competitor, and found a case full of Hi Points. Snuggled among the cheap plastic was a bit of Colt gun steel, however. I spied a Colt 1908 Vest Pocket Pistol. It was in pretty good shape, and it still had case hardening coloring on the trigger and grip safety. I looked at the price and almost choked. The tag said $400. I said no go to that one as well.

When I returned to my car, I dug my Blue Book out from underneath all the papers in the back seat. I looked the little Colt up, and discovered the $400 price tag was not far off base. Still, for a .25ACP pistol that I will rarely shoot, I think I will just hang on to my money a while.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking for a Colt 1908 N. Where is this one at?

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home