A Nurse with a Gun

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Another Smith .45

Dave still had his two beater Colts on the shelf at $300 each. While I was in Dave's place chewing the fat, a young man and his buddy brought in a Remington .22 rifle, a German SAA copy in 22LR, and a 12 gauge Mossberg shotgun to sell or pawn. Dave gave the young man $60 for the rifle, and refused the rest. I asked for a look at the SAA copy, and the young man quickly told me he would take $60 for it. I handed it back. It was an extremely cheap gun, along the same quality line as a RG. Not everything made in Germany is worth a damn.

Amber had sold her Raging Bull. She had also sold the Taurus 32 long revolver.

Neil had added another Smith & Wesson 45 auto to his line-up. This one was a Model 457. It was in good condition with low profile sights and two spare magazines. I suspect it is an ex-cop gun. The S&W double action auto loaders are reputed to be good, accurate, durable weapons. They just never agreed with me for some reason. They seem overly bulky, excessively complex or something. Neil had the pistol priced at $325, which seemed fair. I just wasn't interested.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about Rugers auto pistols too. Big and blocky.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The number of itsy-bitsy, teeny-tiny leeetle piece parts that go into them also make me leary. I bought a stainless S&W .45 (I forget the model number) a while back, intending for use as a carry pistol, but the number of useless pieces of junk (who needs a magazine safety, for crying out loud?) scared me for it's long-term reliability.

12:12 PM  
Blogger James R. Rummel said...

The first defensive handgun that I ever relied on was a S&W 908, the 9x19 version of the .45 you pictured above. I put about 15K rounds through that guy without any problems. I finally retired it when I noticed that the rifling had all been scraped away.

That doesn't have anything to do with your own decision, though. I always tell my students to use what they feel comfortable with using. It's just that I feel comfortable with those S&W guns is all....

James

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home