A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, March 03, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Pits and Bulls

I went by Dave's shop first today. Dave had added a pitted Colt Police Positive Special to his finishless Army Special. This poor Police Positive had more craters in it's surface than bella luna. Dave had this Colt priced at $299 as well. I started to mention to Dave that just because a gun has a prancing pony on it, doesn't mean it's worth anything. I thought better of it. Heck, Dave might have a market for these beater Colts that I don't know about. If he gives to much for them, and in return has to ask to much for them, who am I to worry? His other prices have always been fair and good. Perhaps I should just find a few beater Colts at beater prices and take them to Dave for trade! Dave had sold his Ruger 22/45. He still had his Wolverine knives. I was not surprised.

Meanwhile, Amber has come up with a Taurus Raging Bull in 454 Casull.
It is ported and has a ribbed barrel. It locked up well, but I just don't have a need for a gun like that. The 454 Casull produces about 50 percent more muzzle energy than the .44 Magnum. There is, of course, a price for all that muzzle energy. The .454 serves up nearly 70 percent more recoil than the .44 Magnum, or about the same recoil energy as a .338 Winchester Magnum in a 10 pound shoulder fired rifle. It does make an impressive fireball. Maybe if I decide to go hunt zombies in the New Orleans graveyards, maybe then.....

Once I was certain there were no desirable guns out of hock, I drove over to Neil's place and dropped another $200 on my layaway.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember seeing long lines of ads for the 454 Bulls right after they came out.The common line was "only shot once" LOL

4:58 PM  
Blogger AlanDP said...

Just curious, what was the price tag on that Taurus?

6:17 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Xavier,
I am not the only one envious og your collection. Hwow do you do it.
Thanks for the photography links the other week.
BTW how well did you do on the test. Link on mu blog www.curiousrelic.blogspot.com
Curious

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,
Just wanted to drop a line and say I've bought my first Wheel gun from a pawn shop. Not a S&W, but a Ruger Police Service that I had to get when I noticed she was a Bicentenial made in 1976! 98% Blue and looked almost new. I've been hooked by the bug!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home