A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Protecting Valuables

Paw Paw asks a very pertinent question. How DOES one prove ownership of stolen property after it has been recovered by police, or in the case of Louisiana, uncovered in a lawsuit against a gun grabbing government?

One must remember that 90 percent of ownership is possession. If the property is known to be stolen, all one must do is prove they possessed it at one time to make a fair case of ownership. What we would do in the Navy is photograph valuables alongside our military ID. It works in the civilian sector as well. I still photograph my valuables with the serial showing alongside my driver's liscense. I keep these photos on two CDs that are stored in two secure locations away from the valuables.

For what it's worth, I do not look like an egg.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Good suggestion - it never occured to me. I might replace your CD's with actual photos though. No computer needed and you can have a LOT of copies for .20 apiece. Of course, I don't have many guns.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great way to do it. I've been keeping all sorts of extra crap as records but this'd be easier and take up less space.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great idea, I'm going to put it to use this weekend. I finally broke down and bought a gun safe last week (It didn't seem necessary with just the 9mm... then just an additional .45.. or two, or three, then a Remington 12GA.....yada ya. I suddenly found myself with a small arsenal of weapons stashed under the bed, coffee table, cushions ect. Now that they're safely locked away (except what's needed to have for immediate defense) I realize I need to document what I have, and keep the proof in a different location. I will add the receipt in the picture (to prove what I paid)

Thanks!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Countertop said...

I do something slightly different. I have an excell spreadsheet that tracks all my firearms broken up by class (handgun, rifle, shotgun) and lists the serial number, date purchased, place of purchase, price. If sold, it has similar info on the sale. For those firearms for which I was in possession when digital photography made it possible, I also have a picture of said gun as part of the document.
Its on my computer, backed up on a DVD disk which is rotated out of a safety deposit box at the bank weekly, and is also stored elsewhere.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home