A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

No More Confiscations in Louisiana

The Louisiana House of Representatives unanimously approved House Bill 760 today. House Bill 760 forbids law enforcement from confiscating firearms from law abiding citizens during times of civil disorder. The Congressmen of Louisiana have shown they respect the Constitution of the United States even if Governor Blanco, and Mayor Nagin and their cronies do not.

Rep. Steve Scalise, R-Jefferson, said he was appalled that police took guns from people during the lawless days following Hurricane Katrina. Such confiscations violated the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which guarantees the right to keep and bear arms, Scalise stated.

Rep. Scalise said police officers from New Orleans used Gov. Kathleen Blanco's emergency declaration as a legal basis to seize firearms. "It happened hundreds and hundreds of times," Scalise said. The 911 emergency calling system was overloaded or nonexistent, leaving everyday people exposed and vulnerable, he said. "Their only protection from the criminal element was their handgun."

"Everyday I kept my sidearm when I went back into my district," said Rep. John LaBruzzo, R-Metairie, whose district includes affluent Old Metairie.

Even St. Tammany Parish wasn't safe, said Rep. Pete Schneider, R-Slidell. "I was keeping my gun on my hip while I was cleaning up my yard. Why? Because there was no police protection," Schneider said.

Thank God common sense prevailed in Louisiana's House of Representatives. No longer can the second amendment be crapped on in Louisiana after a hurricane. Never again. Thank you Gentlemen. Imagine, a state where gun toting legislators insure their consituents can keep and bear arms. It's almost enough to make a Louisiana citizen proud!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Sterno said...

At least they all got one thing right.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't feel quite as excited and confident about this ruling as the media hype's it up to be. Sure it can't happen AGAIN, but I wouldn't expect anything like that to happen again. I'm more concerned with the thousands of guns still unclaimed and the people with no proof of ownership before the confiscation. I keep my gun receipts, but my grandfather didn't keep his some 75 years ago when he bought the shotgun I have no inherited! I would give my left arm to prevent from losing such an important piece of history and sentimental value. If a criminal (in this case, NOPD) tried to take it from me illegally, I would kill to keep it without blinking!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

That's some of the best news I've heard all year.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news. It's just too bad we need a law to confirm what's already spelled out in the Constitution.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home