A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: An Early M&P

I swung into Neil's place today and I could see from the doorway the handgun volume had increased since my last visit. Several guns had come out of hock, including a stainless Colt ORM Series 80 1911. The Colt was in great shape, but unfortunately, unlike the SW1911s Neil saw dollar signs on that Colt. He had it priced at $699. I explained that a new stainless Colt NRM 1911 could be had for that, but Neil was unfazed. He believed the gun would sell at that price. It was used, but it was in good shape. Perhaps it will.

I moved on to Neil's next gun, the one I was interested in anyway. I had Neil pull out a Smith & Wesson 1899 M&P from the case. This old Military & Police had such an even patina that I thought it was parkerized at first. It wore the original grips and they were uncracked. The action was buttery smooth, although the cylinder lock-up was a bit lose. The ejector rod was missing the knurled button that fits on the end. The bore was smokey but it still had rifling. The 1899 M&P was a four screw gun, with a smooth trigger. It was chambered in .38 Long Colt and .38 Special. I could barely make out the .38 S&W Special inscription on the barrel. The Smith & Wesson trademark on the right side was very faint as well. The good thing was that this revolver had an even brown patina, and Neil had not been impressed with it. The tag read $69.

I suppose Neil thought because I had bought the two SW1911s, and I had eschewed his .455 Hand Ejector, that he should overprice the Colt 1911, and underprice the Smith & Wesson 1899. That was fortuitous. I asked for a 4473 and began to fill it out. Neil asked "You're not going to layaway?" Suddenly I realized he thought I was buying the Colt. He was crest fallen when I told him it was the little Smith I was interested in. When we were done with the transaction, Neil asked me how much I had beaten him on the Smith & Wesson. I told him I honestly did not know if I had at all. I just liked the gun. I will have to find a knurled knob for the ejector rod, and that might be a tough order to fill. Still, I am very happy with my $69 gun!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That seriously rocks.

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm luvin' that!

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's an important gun. take care of it, not many of them around anymore!

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home