A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, April 17, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Ignorance & Old Winchesters

I have always held a fascination for the old Winchester lever action rifles, but felt I did not have the knowlege to buy wisely. At one time, I bought a Marlin 336CS from a pawn shop for $125, just to rob the Leupold scope off the top for one of my 10/22s. I later resold that Marlin sans scope, for $150 during deer season. Today, after I looked over Neil's handguns, I scanned the rifle rack just in case. There, I saw an old Winchester.

Last December I had missed out on a Winchester 1894 at Dave's shop that I suspect was a pre-64 rifle. Thus, when Neil handed me this particular rifle, chambered in 30-30 and priced attractively at $139, I was not going to dicker. The serial number, 2748XXX indicated it was made in 1964. It had a metal buttplate, but the action pivoted on roll pins instead of solid pins. The furniture was very nice walnut that wore an unfortunate polyurethane finish. The bluing was fair to middling for a rifle this age. It had a hooded front sight, with a micrometer rear sight. I decided to not take another chance. I gave Neil $50 and told him to put the rifle on lay away.

Since the Winchester factory is history, I figure it is time to buy, and at $139, I really can't lose. If nothing else, I will be more educated regarding these rifles when one pops up again.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Pawpaw said...

Lots of Winchester dates are confusing because the factory didn't use the First-In-First-Out method. Some folks have 94's dated in the 1965-66 era, that have the old forged receivers of the pre-64 guns. That rifle you have on layaway might be a pre-64 reciever with the roll pins that indicate later production. Sometimes, dating a Winchester is an act of futility.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like mine. It has a certain grace that the more rugged marlins lack.

Just one thought - these things are a little tricky to take all apart and get back together again.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Pawpaw said...

The best tutorial for disassembly of a Model 94 is at castbullet.com

My padna Junior, from Tullos, wrote it up while disassembling his.

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home