A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Sometimes........

When I first saw this photo I felt a swell of outrage rise within myself that I have seldom felt. How could anyone be so disrespectful? To have a kid watching MTV in front of a Marine's casket as he lay waiting for burial was a slap in the face to every serviceman who ever served. This damned image must have been photoshopped. I enlarged it and began to look for the telltale signs. Then I began to search for it in other locations.
Then........I learned not to judge so quickly.
"The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of 'Cat,' and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it," she said. "I think that's what he would have wanted.'"
Todd Heisler The Rocky Mountain News

Sometimes it's best to keep one's mouth shut until all the facts are available.

Thank you James Cathey.
Thank you Katherine Cathey.
Thank you Casey Sheehan.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Porta's Cat said...

Damn.....

Man.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And thank you to the anonymous Marines that kept watch all night.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag."

Semper Fi!

Those Marines know the need some folks have to spend ALL of their last possible moments with loved ones.

So I'll say it again...

Semper Fi!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Pawpaw said...

(sniff) It's only fitting and proper. Lots of rough men stand duty while I sleep.

12:23 PM  
Blogger shooter said...

I read the entire story when it first came out. It was very hard for me to keep my composure at my desk in the lobby, but I did. These young men did not have to do what they did for her, but it lifts my soul to see that they care for her as her husband cared for her.

Damn, now I need a tissue.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Ride Fast said...

Damn.
Talk about NSFW.
Thanks for sharing, though.
Semper Fi, indeed.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We must never forget the price they have paid for us to sleep in peace.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home