A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

An Interview and a Haircut

I got a call today to set up an interview for a position in surgery. I scheduled the interview for Thursday. Then I went to the barber. I go to a real barbershop with the barber pole spinning away outside. If the place does not have a couple of deer heads on the wall, a shoeshine chair in the corner, and the combs bathed in a jar of blue alcohol, it is not a proper barbershop. A barbershop is the impromptu meeting place for gentlemen. A hairstylist might believe the barber is obsolete, but like a good bartender, a good barber will always be in demand.

Firearms are discussed freely in my barbershop. On the bulletin board, there are several for sale notices for guns, boats and coon hounds. The barbers wear smocks imported from the Philippines. Years ago an armed robber learned to late that one of the men with clippers carried a .357 magnum underneath his smock. I do not doubt that the lump under the barber's smock is still as lethal. When I enter my barbershop, it is likely there are more people there who are armed than unarmed. That alone gives me a good feeling.

My barber already knew how I wanted my hair cut. I like a 0-0.5 Navy Reg with my neck shaved, and I don't give a damn if my bald spot shows. A man who's worried about a patch of skin on top of his head has a bit of a security problem as a man if you ask me. The bald pate is caused by testosterone. 'nuff said. Until a person gets a haircut so short their sweat runs right off the crown of their head, they just don't know how good it can feel. Once done, I tipped my barber and was a step closer to that job I want.

Other thoughts on barbershops & proper haircuts from Porta Cat and Anarchangel.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not many understand the difference between a barber and a 'stylist'. I was always told a licensed barber could lay a razor against the skin and a 'stylist' could merely cut hair.
Nothings beats a good barber that can works shears and scissors alike!
Woe to the man who has never felt the summer sun or winter wind on the back of a freshly shorn head and shaved neck!
Heck, I might amble over to the coffin cooler for a moon pie and RC Cola if it looks like there will be a wait!!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Sterno said...

Gotta love the barbershop!

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The way I tell if it's a real barbershop, I call them and say 'Bob Peters there?'

Your real barbershop knows enough to answer 'No, just shaves and haircuts'.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

I always let my hair get massively large before I get a haircut, because I hate the hassle. Once you find someone who can do what you want, you gotta treat them right so they'll stick around.

The girl that used to cut my hair vanished without a trace months ago, and after a couple of mediocre haircuts I found a *barber* who seemed to do a good job. Maybe he's the one.

11:17 AM  
Blogger AnarchAngel said...

I tried leaving a comment earlier but blogger was hosed so I wrote a post instead:

Haircut 100

2:14 AM  
Blogger a faith bigger than fear said...

I feel for you guys!

I wish I was a man at this point...! You've got short, shorter or bald!!! Unless you have the ones with the mulletts or the pony tails, which isn't appealing what-so-ever... atleast in my eyes.

I wish it were so easy for a woman to just pop in to a barber shop...and say "the usual".

:)

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

X – “I do not doubt that the lump under the barber's smock is still lethal.”

Comment: It may be lethal X but it’s not a gat, he’s just glad to see ya!! LOL!!!!

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think people that go searching for a cure for baldness have it all wrong. That's one less grooming procedure they have to worry about. No need to lather, rinse and repeat, just scrub and go.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home