A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, May 22, 2006

A New Day

Today I start. I go to the basic hospital orientation indoctrination. I get to sit in an auditorium, in a sea of newly minted RNs and LPNs, and be told how lucky I am to have a job in the midst of a nationwide nursing shortage. I will hear about wonderful retention rates in spite of a massive nursing hemorrhage out of the hospitals. I will be told how happy they are to have us, and review all the policies and procedures. I will learn the mission statement.

I must not forget my personal mission statement. Get adequate, secure, stable cash flow so my family can flourish. Obtain zero deductible, 100% payment insurance. Learn another highly marketable aspect of nursing to build my professional portfolio with, so I will be that much more lucrative in three years. Learn the entire perioperative world, learn what makes it tick, because I'm going to be running that son of a bitch in five years.

Other things that happened on May 22:
2004 - The U.S. town of Hallam, Nebraska, is wiped out by a powerful F4 tornado that broke a width record at an astounding 2.5 miles wide. It also killed one local resident.
1968 - The nuclear-powered submarine the USS Scorpion sinks with 99 men aboard 400 miles southwest of the Azores.
1960 - An earthquake measuring 9.5 on the Richter scale, now known as the Great Chilean Earthquake, hits southern Chile. It is the most powerful earthquake ever recorded.
1915 - Four trains collide in the Quintinshill rail crash near Gretna Green, Scotland, killing 227 people and injuring 246; the accident is found to be the result of non-standard operating practices during a shift change at a busy junction.
1819 - The SS Savannah leaves port at Savannah, Georgia, United States, on a voyage to become the first steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean. The ship arrived at Liverpool, England on June 20.



Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn straight. That's the best thing I've read all week.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Walt said...

Go kick some ass, Xav.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Steve Skubinna said...

A few years ago I met an RN who was making a major career adjustment. After work as an ER nurse and later at a cosmetic surgery clinic, and after the kids had grown up and left home, he enrolled at Maine Maritime Academy - that's how I met him, he did a cadet cruise aboard my ship.

I heard recently that he'd graduated with his Third Mate's license and have hoped to cross paths again with him, to catch up on how his new direction is suiting him.

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link