A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, May 22, 2006

A New Day

Today I start. I go to the basic hospital orientation indoctrination. I get to sit in an auditorium, in a sea of newly minted RNs and LPNs, and be told how lucky I am to have a job in the midst of a nationwide nursing shortage. I will hear about wonderful retention rates in spite of a massive nursing hemorrhage out of the hospitals. I will be told how happy they are to have us, and review all the policies and procedures. I will learn the mission statement.

I must not forget my personal mission statement. Get adequate, secure, stable cash flow so my family can flourish. Obtain zero deductible, 100% payment insurance. Learn another highly marketable aspect of nursing to build my professional portfolio with, so I will be that much more lucrative in three years. Learn the entire perioperative world, learn what makes it tick, because I'm going to be running that son of a bitch in five years.

Other things that happened on May 22:
2004 - The U.S. town of Hallam, Nebraska, is wiped out by a powerful F4 tornado that broke a width record at an astounding 2.5 miles wide. It also killed one local resident.
1968 - The nuclear-powered submarine the USS Scorpion sinks with 99 men aboard 400 miles southwest of the Azores.
1960 - An earthquake measuring 9.5 on the Richter scale, now known as the Great Chilean Earthquake, hits southern Chile. It is the most powerful earthquake ever recorded.
1915 - Four trains collide in the Quintinshill rail crash near Gretna Green, Scotland, killing 227 people and injuring 246; the accident is found to be the result of non-standard operating practices during a shift change at a busy junction.
1819 - The SS Savannah leaves port at Savannah, Georgia, United States, on a voyage to become the first steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean. The ship arrived at Liverpool, England on June 20.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn straight. That's the best thing I've read all week.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go kick some ass, Xav.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home