A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Changing Faces

I went by Amber's shop to see what was on display this morning, and Amber was not there. As I gazed at the handgun case for a moment, a young, overweight black man waddled over. I introduced myself, and he said his name was Kenny. There wasn't anything of great interest in the case, just the butchered Smith & Wesson .38/200 British Service revolver and a couple of plastic pistols.

I asked where Amber was, and Kenny told me she went to work for a bank. Damn. Kenny went on to say that he gets in good handguns all the time. I started to tell him I never saw him before in the past two years of checking this store several times a week, but I let him go on. He asked me if I was interested in anything. I pointed to the old Smith and said that a revolver like that at the right price could usually lighten my wallet.

Kenny removed the old cut down revolver from the case, and opened the cylinder. "Well this one's only $350," he said as he flipped the cylinder closed in a move that would make Bogart proud. I cringed. He pressed the cylinder release and with another flick of the wrist, clacked the crane against the frame reopening the cylinder.

As he extended the handgun towards me, I did not know what to say. I did not accept it, I just stood there in shocked disbelief. Finally I said quietly "Don't do that."

"Why not?" asked Kenny, and he Bogated the revolver closed and returned it to the case. Then he removed a Sigma. "This is what all the cops are using. It's like a Glock, only better because it's made by Smith and Wesson. They are calling it the M&P. That stands for Men and Police." I started to ask if women were allowed to purchase this pistol, but I refrained. Kenny locked the slide back, held it over his head and hit the slide release, dropping the slide from full lock on an empty chamber. As Kenny brought the pistol back down, he swept my face with the muzzle. I took the pistol from his hands and locked the slide back again. The magazine and chamber were empty. "I can get you into this one for $275," Kenny ventured.

I laid the pistol on the counter. I did not have time to teach today. I simply growled "Don't you ever point a gun at me again." With that, I turned and left.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

......Wow.

Shouldn't this have been posted as part of Idiots With Guns?

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fool and his customers are soon parted.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a reason S&W were dumping those crap Smegmas on retailers ...

Sell one to a customer, and you will never see them return.

I guess it would take an assclown like that to buy one fore resale.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope Kenny never has to rely on his gun handling skills for anything important, because they sure won't help him.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Thats sad. Like the guy who's cut your hair for years being replaced by an idiot. Or a restaurant that you used to love for years changing hands and going down the tubes.

Just sad, because it's hard to find good service anyway.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home