A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Evil Black Rifles

It's rare that you see evil black rifles on pawn shop shelves, even in gun friendly Louisiana. Thus, when I entered Dave's shop and spotted a AR-15 on the rifle rack, my attention was captured. I am hardly what one would call an AR connoisseur, although I have been open to purchasing one if it could be found at the right price. Dave showed me a rifle that had been out of pawn a scant 45 minutes. It was a DPMS flat top carbine with a carry handle attachment. It wasn't fancy, but it was solid and it came with six 30 round aluminum magazines. Dave was wanting $650 for the entire package. That seemed like a pretty fair deal to me, as I had seen prices on AR's at gunshows, and I knew they started around $800. Still, I could not buy without dickering a bit, so I asked Dave if he would take $600 out the door and give me his usual guarantee. Dave clicked his tongue, smacked his lips, and thought about it for about 30 seconds, then he did a bit of mental addition, and said OK. Suddenly, an AR was coming home to meet the AK.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Porta's Cat said...

Saw a post ban Colt walk out the door of the pawn shop next door yesterday for $650.

Probaly only one or two mags with it. Pretty stock (which is cool) but no bayo lug, etc.

Fun little rifle. I enjoy mine as much as my AKM's.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice find! Boy what I would give to have $600 to spend on something like that!

I'm hoping to some day have a set of His and Her's "evil black rifles" for my wife and I!

1:19 PM  
Blogger shooter said...

okay, now I'm sold! I'm hitting the pawn shops around work and home right after I leave the bank today.

Xavier, you really should do a post for us newbie pawn shop prowlers. Let us in on some of the secrets. Show us how it's done oh grand poobah master of the pawned and purloined.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good score. Now you have an excuse to spend a few hours at AR15.com...

The ammo oracle makes a good argument for the .223 as a home defense round - depending on the particular load, it can be *less* likely to penetrate household materials than buckshot or handguns.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The AR is giving you hypertension! I'll send you my FFL's info and you can send me that evil black rifle. I'm already taking Lisinopril.

If you throw in the AK I'll go back to taking the Maxide.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home