A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Time to Teach

I had not been back to one of my favorite pawn shops since Amber had been replaced with a cylinder slinging baboon. I got out of hospital orientation indoctrination early today, and I found myself driving past that shop, so I went inside. Kenny was still behind the counter. He still had the boogered up S&W Model K-200. He also had a nice Smith & Wesson M&P in the case, and I asked to see it. As he removed it, I asked that he keep the cylinder closed. Once I had it in my hands, I laid it across the fingers of my left hand and released the cylinder with my right thumb. I pushed the cylinder open with the second and third fingers of my left hand. The revolver was unloaded. Then, I asked Kenny if he had noticed how I did the task.
"Not really" said Kenny.
I explained how whipping the cylinder open places a great deal of stress on the yoke as it impacts the frame, often causing permanent misalignment. I explained the same thing occurs when the cylinder is slammed shut. Then, I went through Jim March's Revolver Checkout, explaining to Kenny what I was doing each step of the way. The old M&P checked out fine, but the price, $275, was a bit steep for me. I gave it back to Kenny, who then asked if anything was wrong with the revolver.
"Not really," I replied, "Just the price."
Kenny started to speak, but before he could say anything, I interjected "...But someone will buy it for that." That seemed to satisfy Kenny, and I wished him a good day.

Neil had sold his little Colt Junior. It went so fast I started to wonder if I was wrong about it. I hate that feeling. I was later relieved when I looked it up and saw my memory had not failed me. Nothing else was new at Neil's place. I started to drop some money on my SW1911, but I held off.

Dave had sold his Taurus snubbie. He still had his overpriced Colt Army Special. Dave had also added a Glock in 45ACP. It looked fatter than Glocks usually are, but maybe it was just me. I didn't ask to see it, Glocks do nothing for me. Both Neil and Dave were saturated with musical instruments. Their jewelry cases were full as well. The only thing lacking was a supply of window unit air conditioners. Dave said he sold his last one today.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on you for the free lesson to Kenny. Here's hoping he learned something...

8:33 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

The thing about Glocks is that they shoot well. My wife, who is not an avid shooter, can keep on center of mass with a Glock 21 all day long. Shooting .45 is not intuitive, and it took me a lot of years to really control the 1911A1 we were issued in the Navy (back in the day), but Abbe could shoot that full-sized auto like it was nothing.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home