A Nurse with a Gun

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: A Nickel Smith

I went by the pawn shop where Kenny works this afternoon, and am I glad I did. Kenny still had his M&P resting in the case for $275, but beside it was a nickel Model 10-5 snubby. Kenny had priced the little revolver at $179. He said it was worth less, because the barrel was shorter. I said Hmmmmmmm.

The grips on the nickel Smith were bizarre. They looked like Jethro took out his Barlow knife and whittled up a pair of grips. Surprisingly though, they felt pretty good. The trigger was nice, and the bore was clean and bright. I did the Jim March Revolver Checkout on it. It checked good. The barrel was pinned, but the hillbilly grips obscured the serial number. Still, for $179 it did not really matter. I asked Kenny about the grips, and he immediately called them custom. I figured I had better stop while I was ahead. I asked for a 4473.

As I was filling out the form, Kenny asked me why I liked the old revolvers. I told him it is simple, that they are from another time, a time when hand craftsmanship meant something, and they are firearms that will never again be available new. Kenny looked at me kind of funny, so I said "Look man, it's like a '61 Chevy Impala convertible. These old guns are cool. They aren't like this now. They were better back then."

Kenny kind of understood that. He then asked me about the checks I had made on the revolver. Kenny said he had never seen that done before. I wasn't surprised. I told Kenny that most people don't really know how to check out a used gun. Kenny said "Well you sure know how to check one don't you?"

I replied "I know just enough to keep wanting another one, that's the problem!" I took my new revolver home and began to search through my grip box for some appropriate S&W wood.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a set of S&W grips that look rather similar to that one. I wonder if that was an aftermarket attempt from some manufacturer, or if it were Jethro...

10:51 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Sharp eye rimshot! I closed the cylinder for the photo and failed to rotate it to index properly before I took the photo. I did not realize it until I had the photo posted, and was wondering if it would be spotted.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT eye Rimshot.

I guess I was too busy cursing Xavier's good luck to notice... ;)

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xav,

Looks like that old Mdl 67 hammer might have a home on this one

Striker

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The older guns don't have all these new-fangled "safety devices" to screw things up. When you pick up a revolver and squeeze the trigger, it's just supposed to go BOOM, not "oh wait a minute while I fish out my special key or decoder ring."

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would suggest that if you are going to use the "Jim March revolver check list" on a used revolver, that you find a gunsmith or someone in the know revolver wise to demonstrate for you, and other's, how to check the cylinder timing on a revolver. The timing check as listed on Mr. March's List is not the way to check timing, but a poor mans way of checking bore to cylinder alignment. This is better checked with a range rod or plug designed for this. Timing is a whole different ballgame than what Mr. March has on his checklist. There is a very simple way to check revolver timing, and what is and isn't acceptable on a used revolver after you have checked a few revolvers. Timing does need to be checked out on a used, or for that matter new, revolver. I'm sure it is an honest mistake, but the list does need to be looked at by someone who knows and the "Timing" check rewritten correctly on the list. thanks Mick

4:22 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Mick, This is, i believe the second time i have read this. I would suggest you contact Mr. March, or address this issue on TFL yourself. The thread is still open for posting. Have at it.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home