A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, July 14, 2006

Estate Sale Pistol

I went to an estate sale tonight with my wife. I heard there might be a gun or two there. As my wife looked through books and jewelry, I inspected a jewel of a different sort.

The only firearm present was a Savage 1917 .32 caliber pistol. It came with a very nice box, although the pistol itself had some freckling and bluing wear. I checked it for the salespeople. They had placed it underneath a table waiting for my arrival. It was not loaded.

I asked how much the family wanted for the gun, and I was told $400-500. That figured. I guessed that with the box, the pistol is likely worth about $250. I'm not a Savage collector, nor a .32 shooter. The little pistol was slightly intriguing as a vintage CCW piece though. I wrote $200 on the back of one of my business cards and left it with the estate seller.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger AlanDP said...

At the recent gun show, I saw two of these. One seller wanted $325 and the other even more than that.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Countertop said...

As with all things, its worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is interesting that you refer to the weapon as a possible CCW. I sometimes carry a 1907 Dreyse .32 because it is so small and has an antique allure. I replaced all the springs and went through the weapon well with TLC. The groups are amazing for such an old piece. In so far as CCW though, I tell myself that putting 4 to 5 .32 FMJ in a man's chest would offer the penetration and possible organ destruction that could end a very bad situation. Other than that I wonder about the use of a .32 for self defense and sometimes shy away from the .32. In Florida, though, it is hard to conceal in summer.

Lost in Jacksonville

9:16 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Maybe a clarification is in order. I collect vintage CCW pieces, but I do not necessarily carry them. I just find them interesting.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To alandp,

That is the way things are going at gun shows recently though. I go to the show at the Harrisburg, PA Farm Show Complex yearly. In the past 2 years, almost everything there has been more expensive than in any of my local shops, and certainly more than things were WORTH....it is sad, but it is how things are going. Heck one fellew even turned down my request to have him take down a K31 rifle so I could inspect the bore of that used weapon. I enquired as to why. The response: "because I said so, that's why." At least I had the satisfaction of knowing he lost a cash and carry sale....

12:46 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

I cleaned up one of those for a gentleman at my church. It what a very slick little pistol that I bet made a fine carry piece in its day.

There was a website with a bunch of the original literature and advertisements for the pistol... Ah, here it is...

http://members.aol.com/Savage1907/

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one of those that was my grandfather's pistol in WW1. Looks to be in about the same condition sans box. It has one hell of a spring on it. Loading that first round is a little tough.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home