A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Missed Opportunity

I went back on the pawn shop hunt today, stopping first at Neil's place. Deep inside, I was hoping the High Standard .22 pistol was still there. I was in a haggling mood. Neil had sold the old plinker though, and probably gotten close to his $250 asking price. In it's place, beside the Glock and Sig, was a RG six shooter. I was kind of relieved the High Standard was gone, I suppose. Even though Neil gives me a 100% money back guarantee, I was slightly skiddish of the pistol. The condition of the magazine is crucial on old .22 caliber guns, and I believed the magazine in the High Standard was an aftermarket replacement, giving it questionable reliability. Oddly though, I would have purchased the High Standard pistol in a heartbeat over the RG revolver I was looking at.

It is rare that I will call a gun junk. Even with the pot metal RG I am hesitant. The people who squeeze out these turds should be buried in a pit of fire ants with a pink straw hat on their head. The pot metal cap guns of my childhood were sturdier than these crapola guns. If you or your friend needs a gun and can't afford much, leave the RG on the shelf. Buy a Hi-Point instead. There, I said it. RG=Crapola. This is one case where a cheap pistol whips a revolver's ass in reliability.

I moved on to Dave's place. Dave had sold his Essex framed 1911. Under Dave's glass though, was a familiar looking pistol. I believe I saw the same Astra Constable at Neil's shop in January. It was still in it's original box. I wondered how it made the trip from one pawn shop to the next. Dave did not have anything else new.

I thought about driving over to take another look at the round butt Model 10 I had found, but I turned towards Kenny's shop instead. "Man, I wish you had been here," chirped Kenny as I bellied up to his counter. "You like those chrome guns, well I almost bought a pimpin' chrome Colt from this old dude. It was messed up though."
"How so?" I asked.
"It was all chromed out with revolker sights and it looked like barb wire on the front of the handle."
"Barb wire?"
"Well it felt like it. Some dude had taken somethin' and poked all over it."
"Why didn't you buy it Kenny?"
"Well, I ain't all the way dumb Xavier. It said Colt on it but it said Keithville Louisiana too. Now I know they got that ammunition plant over there what's explodin' bombs right now, but they ain't got no Colt fact'ry. That thing had to be fake."
"Ummmmm........How much was he wanting Kenny?"
"Six to seven hundred. I told him no damned way!"
"Did you get his name Kenny?"
"No........Did I miss sumptin' Xav?"
"Yep."

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. So clue in some of us on the Colt part. What was special about it? A quick search of "Colt Keithville Louisiana" turns up nothing.
.bp78

8:37 AM  
Blogger Sterno said...

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what did he miss out on?

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not often you see an early Clark .45 in a pawn shop.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Clark Custom, as in J.E. Clark...... The early years, the hand built stuff by the old man....

9:24 AM  
Blogger AlanDP said...

More details, please, about this Custom Clark, for those of us who aren't as expert on these things.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger.45

I did'nt identify myself in the earlire post at 9:22am. I am a rabid fan of the 1911 and have the honor of owning a Clark Combat Commander from 1973. I picked it up about a decade ago in Eastern Louisiana for a mere $500. I know it is an early one, even though there is no "Clark" inscription on the slide, by the "Dragon Tooth" stipling on the front grip strap and the use of Smith and Wesson "K" frame adjustable sights.

Most of the early Clark pistols sell in the range of $1000 +. Clark Custom was the predecessor to today's custom 1911's by Wilson, Ed Brown, etc. Again unusual as a pawn piece.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RG's are junk? Damn, you mean I'll have to stop shooting that old RG .22/.22 mag single action I got 30 years ago? I must have gotten one of the good ones, as even though the finish wore (flaked) off 20 years ago it still hits what I shoot at, locks up good, no spitting. The only thing I ever did to it was file the front site down a hair to get it on target at 50 yds.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend any good websites for info on the Astra Constable?
Also, any comment on how it works, i.e., its lock mechanism, materials it's made of, whether one would be worth purchase (if encountered) and if so what price range.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy a surplus Walther PP instead.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Alan said...

I am ashamed to admit that when I was a young lad I worked in a soprts store where the owner bought 6 RG-357s looking all cowboy like the one you showed. He told me that if I could just sell them and get his money back he'd be OK. Sold all of them and made a few dollars. I was in confession the next morning after selling those. Nice find on the Jim Clark gun. They scarce.

8:51 PM  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Is the Astra a Spanish copy of a Mauser HSC? It looks a lot like one.

I came across an 1896 Krag yesterday. May have to buy it.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home