A Nurse with a Gun

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

15 Years

Fifteen years ago today, I was young, free, and I did not give a damn. I threw my leg over the top of my bike and I resolutely rode away from the US Navy at Treasure Island California. I understand Treasure Island has been closed for a while now. My old grey home is now a museum.

I left the Navy with a wild decision to find the right woman to spend the rest of my life with. At that point in my life, I had no roots. There was absolutely nothing to prevent me from settling anywhere in the world. I had my boots, my bedroll and my bike. The rest was in a pack-out somewhere between Desert Storm and somewhere.

I was ready to begin the greatest adventure of my life. I had no idea what was in store for me. After six months back in the States, I was planning to join the Peace Corp with a nursing degree so I could get back to the "real world." The States I had known before I left did not exist anymore. Perhaps it did, but I was no longer the same person, and I could no longer understand it's people or politics. I was ready to return to the home I had found in the South Pacific. Then, when I least expected it, I met my future wife, and my greatest adventure began.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

moto guzzi??
nice bike....heard that the cops who drove em liked em better then harleys...

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you still have the Ambassador? Great bikes. I worked at a couple Guzzi dealerships. Most owners were fanatical about them. Sold one Amb on a Friday, guy rode back on Monday for his first service, in a snowstorm!

6:28 AM  
Blogger Ride Fast said...

Xavier, I just knew you were OK when I first found your blog. Gunny, nurse, now Navy and Scooter Trash. What's not to like ;-)

10:15 PM  
Blogger Ride Fast said...

Scooter Trash. I shoulda known. ;-)

10:16 PM  
Blogger Keith Walker said...

Happy anniversary!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Keith Walker said...

So... were you packing in this picture? ;-)

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The local paper recently talked about a plans to build 6000 homes on Treasure Island. The proposal has a typical SF paradox: reserve a number of homes for low income families, yet charge $5 to drive on/off the island to relieve traffic congestion. I don't know how a low income family could possibly afford a $200/month "job tax", but hey, let's not let logic get in the way of convenience.

SF Chronicle article about Treasure Island development:
http://tinyurl.com/ymwwgh

9:09 PM  
Blogger roninaz said...

I was looking at the Moto Guzzi's but the lack of dealer network is a downside.

Still a great bike.

3:58 PM  
Blogger geordie said...

Treasure Island is a bit of a low income area right now. I was surprised to be challenged by some of the locals when I was there taking photographs of the new bridge though, so maybe they have enough community spirit to stop the place turning bad. NAS Alameda is also closed down and they were considering putting a rich-only golf course on the runways, the Coasties should have taken it when it was offered for $1!

Happy Anniversary.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home