A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Idiots With Guns

An open letter to those who criticize my Idiot With Guns series as being fodder for the anti-gun crowd:

While I would like for all gun owners to be responsible, I realize that some, indeed, many are not. Whether a girl steals her mother's loaded revolver for some gothic graveyard photography, a new Glock owner decides to point his gun at the camera, or a college student places an airsoft pistol to his head for a photo, I have tired of seeing these pictures spattered about the internet. You will note that on each of these entries in my blog, I state the same thing, that these posts are to educate. Then I state the four rules.

If you think these posts in my blog are meant for humor, you are wrong. These photos are not humorous. They are dangerous. They are dangerous to the people depicted and to the kid who sees them and wants to take some gun photos of his own.

These posts are not meant to educate those in the photographs. Chances are, I'll likely never reach them. These posts are meant to educate the kid who has been wondering about that handgun in Dad's closet. These posts are meant to educate that parent who places the loaded gun on the closet shelf. These posts are meant to educate the college student who buys a Glock and gets no instruction. These posts are meant to educate the gun owners who think there is not a problem with irresponsible gun use. These posts are meant to educate the viewer, not the people who are depicted.

You may think the photos are inappropriate. I agree. They are extremely inappropriate. Grossly inappropriate. They are like the horse's head at the dinner table. Responsible gun owners had better start recognizing that there are idiots among our ranks, and either try to educate them or eradicate them. Just because a kid is young and stupid enough to steal a parent's revolver for some graveyard photography does not mean they cannot be educated to be responsible with firearms. The first thing to do though, is call them on their actions. Unequivocally. That I have done.

You may want to deny that such ignorance exists. I refuse to do so. You can say my archive of idiots harms gun owners. Fine. I say denial of the problem will lead to the loss of our rights to keep and bear arms. Irresponsible gun use is a widespread social problem, and the solution begins with the recognition of the problem.

What I see in each of these photos is a person with an interest in firearms, but with no idea how to use them appropriately. Each of these people, given the proper instruction, education and attitude, could become a responsible gun owner. The only way to keep our right to bear arms is to educate our young people. The first step to educating them is to recognize their mistakes, call them on it, and refuse to let it slip through the cracks because we are embarrassed by it.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe if you superimposed the international red circle with a slash through it over each dumbass in question?

I agree its a service you are performing, however, providing the opposition with a ready supply of stupid photos seems counter-intuitive.

Make the bastards work for every bit of what it takes to tread on our rights.

Hang tough - love your work.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Porta's Cat said...

I am with you Xavier. And the sad fact is that what you "expose" is what a lot of "gun guys" would ridicule and make fun of. Yet, these same "gun guys" are typically grossly in violation of the same rules over and over, minus the cute photos.

As a dealer, I just assume that at some point in time, during any sale or transaction, that I will be covered by the muzzle of a firearm at some point in time during the sale.

And, yes, it is easy to say "you need to educate those people when they do that", and sometimes you can. But a lot of times, "gun guys" flash the damn muzzle all over town because "they know it is unloaded". They aren't pointing it at their head as a joke, they are pointing it at your head while they read the manual or pointing it at the door while they are looking at the magazine.

And so you (me) just know that you have to do the thinking for 2 people in the transaction when a gun comes out.

I am a "gun guy", and I am not perfectly perfect 100% of the time. I am sure, in my days, I have violated rule #2 once or twice. But, because of the "Four Rules", I really don't cotton much to "gun guys". I see too much silliness and irresponsibilty at the range, in gun shops, and (now) on the internet. I know a few "gun guys" who play by the Four Rules, but I know far more "nice guys who own guns" who are just idiotic. And this list includes cops and vets.

Keep it up Xavier. It isn't about "playing PC to protect our gun rights". It is about, as you say, keeping my 12 year old son (or yours, or his, or hers) from blwoing a hole through something that can't be repaired. Ever.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Jeffro said...

Keep up the good work - it also serves as a reminder for the rest of us.

I think the way you keep hammering on how unsafe the depictions are more than makes your point. Pretending that people mishandle guns won't make it go away.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Mulliga said...

There are tons of photos on the Web of irresponsible people pointing guns at each other - the antis will always find photos suitable for their campaigns.

I'll never forget what happened when I showed some handguns to a couple of my college friends - they immediately pointed them at each other like they were in "Reservoir Dogs." Needless to say, I broke it up immediately and explained how dangerous and stupid that kind of thing is. Not to say I'm perfect, either, but I'm pretty sure I've never pointed a gun intentionally at anybody.

Keep up the good work, Xavier!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Keith Walker said...

Xavier,

I see the point of those who say that you are just providing "ammo" for the opposition, but I think what you are doing is extremely valuable. As a relatively new gun owner (15 months) the pictures you post are constant reminders to me of what not to do. I have learned a lot just from reading your blog.

Please keep posting these pictures. It's not like the opposition can't find these pictures themselves so that argument is a wash. What is more important is the constant reminder to us, the opposition and the general public that irresponsible gun use will not be tolerated, regardless of who has the gun. If we don't call for careful gun handling, who else will?

11:27 PM  
Blogger Not Available said...

What about children playing cowboys and indians....

Should they be allowed to point toy guns at each other?

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm definitely in agreement with you. I think the pictures make an important point, and one that cannot be restated often enough.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog, your's to do with as you see fit. I, for one, applaud the "Idiots With Guns" entries. One can never be reminded of the Four Rules enough as forgetting or ignoring them (and hurting/killing yourself or someone else) only provides more fuel to the anti's bonfire. Good on you, sir! Keep it up.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Fletch said...

I'm with you too X, keep up the good work.

If you're making people uncomfortable, you know you're making an impression.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xav ~

The fact that they're talking about it at all is a good sign. Too many gun owners live in denial about that giant grey mammal standing between them and the TV.

As long as the Idiots With Guns feature makes people stop and think, it's doing its job.

Even if some folks don't like it.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home