A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Going Back

Neil grinned when I walked back through his door today. The round butt three inch Model 65 Ladysmith was still there. I placed $50 down on it, and it went back into the safe on lay away. Neil said "I knew you would be back." Two guns on layaway. I guess he thinks he has my number.

I drove over to Kenny's shop to see what he had out of hock. He had sold both his "ring of fire" guns. In their place, Kenny had placed a Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless Type 1 pistol. Looking up the serial number, this pistol left the Colt factory in 1905. Unfortunately, it had lived a rough life and was pitted and devoid of any finish. The walnut grips were worn smooth and the slide rattled on the frame. The bore resembled a sewer pipe. The good thing about the pistol was it's originality. The bad thing was the price. Kenny had it tagged at $249. It was an interesting pistol. I handed it back to Kenny. Perhaps it is worth two-fifty to someone, but not to me.



Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting link on the ring of fire guns. I'd read little about them, had some idea they were junk.
I've been learning a lot from your blog. Thanks, keep it up!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link