A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: High Prices & Resolutions

I drove by Dave's shop after work today. He still had the Llama .45 pistol on the shelf, along with his Smith & Wesson Model 64. To this assortment, Dave had added a little H&R revolver of some sort, and a SW1911PD. I have been hankering for a SW1911PD. It seems to me Smith & Wesson has a good thing going with the scandium frame. It's lightweight but still durable. The example Dave had was in geat shape, with a nice trigger. Unfortunately, Dave had it tagged at $749. I started to say I could buy the pistol new for that, but I bit my tongue. I simply checked it over, and handed it back to Dave without criticism. Dave asked if I wanted to look at the stainless S&W revolver again. I saw the $279 price through the glass, and told Dave no. I exchanged a couple of pleasantries and bade him goodbye. He can set his prices. I can decide whether to buy or not. Lately, it seems Dave has been on the high side of normal.

I drove over to Kenny's shop to find that he managed to sell his Colt Hammerless. He was wanting quite a bit for it considering it's condition. I'm glad he found a buyer. Kenny had a Rossi Model 68 that he wanted to show me. I humored him and looked over the South American revolver. It was an early Rossi, and was pretty crude, irregardless of it's nickel finish. The trigger felt gritty, and even swinging out the cylinder felt gritty. Kenny was wanting $159 for this gun, but that was too much for me. I handed it back.

I guess I was a little disappointed there were no new guns to buy, but that is OK too. I drove over to Neil's pawn shop, to find a Smith & Wesson Model 65-4. It had rubber grips and a four inch barrel. Neil started to take it out of the case for me. I told him no, and handed him $150 to place towards the Colt Commander I have on layaway. I also have a S&W Model 65-5 on lay away at Neil's place. Unless I come across a whale of a deal, these two will need to be brought home before another purchase.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you could get the S&W 1911PD for $749., I'd grab it. The retail is almost $1050. I bought a 99.5% for the same price, plus tax, and was pleased. You'd better think hard about it before 2008!

Few gunshops would take $100. off the retail.

Roger .45

6:39 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Irregardless is not a word!

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home