A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, November 03, 2006

Why I Carry A Gun

It was this day twenty two years ago that Craig got off work, and began to drive home. He worked at the local power plant, on the evening shift. He had a new wife waiting for him at home, with a baby on the way. Craig had recently bought them a new home in the country. It was raining that night, and it was dark. As Craig crested a hill he saw a Chevy Luv pick-up truck in the ditch. A bloodied woman was in the roadway frantically flagging him down.

I went to school with Craig all through grammar and high school. We hunted tadpoles together as kids, and later asked the same girl to the prom. She went with Craig. Like many friends we lived in close proximity and drifted apart. I was in the Navy in the South Pacific on that night.

Craig, being a good country boy, always ready to help a lady in distress, pulled over to see what he could do. As he got out of his vehicle, she shot him once through the chest with a .357 magnum revolver. Craig hit the wet pavement, no doubt in shock, the cold November rain pelting his body. I wonder what he thought. I hope he died thinking of his wife and little girl at home. I hope he did not wonder why he was shot, but I suspect he did.

The woman stole Craig's vehicle, running over his outstretched arm, and left him in the roadway to die. She had just killed her boyfriend, who had been driving the Chevy Luv she was riding in. I did not learn of Craig's death until I returned home from the Navy, and happened to run into his father. We had drifted apart, but Craig's death had a profound effect on me. The country boy world I trusted as I grew up had changed while I was overseas. I began to carry a gun.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It tis a sad tale indeed, makes you wonder! But, on a lighter note!!!
===============================

AH-HAAA!! Something surely is amiss here X …

In the photo, do we detect the absence of the third and possibly most important weapon of all (taking for granted, of course, you’re always carrying an ankle weapon?)

Yes we do, your “nape of the neck pistol” is nowhere in sight! You can’t always rely on just the shotgun your waist weapon and the strapped-on ankle revolver to do the job when going to the door to buy those Girl Scout cookies. You never know, there may be TWO of them! LOL!!

Carry on my good man, and it’s pleasure to see that pudgy little digit of yours not laying on the trigger.

~ HOW ‘BOUT THEM PATRIOTS! ~

~ Ronaldo, US of A ~

3:51 PM  
Blogger Ride Fast said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Xavier. That must have been difficult to share. Take care and God bless.

9:07 PM  
Blogger r_mate_e said...

Nice story...

I too got jobbed by a damsel in distress. Not as bad as your buddy, but 10 years of surgery and permanent plates and screwa in leg and arm..

Even armed, which i too always practice now, i will not stop for anyone. A cell call to the police for them, but no rides.. Never again. Everyone should follow that advice. the life you save will be your own...

9:10 PM  
Blogger Fletch said...

Anonymous, it's all fun and games until your neighbor and her family gets raped and murdered for no particular reason. Think what could happen the next time YOU answer your door. (or simply continue to enjoy your naivete)

There are only two kinds of people; those who are prepaired, and those who are not. From the tone of your comment, I dare suggest you are the latter.

9:42 PM  
Blogger a faith bigger than fear said...

I too am sorry for your loss and can see why anyone would carry after being such a trusting soul to assist someone in need and to have it turn in such a manner.

PC always teaches me to be prepared. I have learned not to be such a trusting soul due to being hurt by someone that I trusted NOT to hurt me.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will admit that I do stop to help people having trouble by the side of the road at night but if I have ANY inclination to just drive on by I do. I'm more likely to stop in a snow storm to help someone out who's still trying to get his rig out.

I'll add that I always get out with a maglite in my hand and a pistol on my belt.

Steelheart

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ExistingThing ~ Perhaps you are right…I was surprised to see your knock on my comment but going back and rereading it made me think that maybe I should have kept my attempt at levity for another post. When I spotted that photo of X at the door (loaded for bear) it just brought out the jester in me and I couldn’t resist taking a shot (so to speak).

As for being naive when answering doors etc. you have the wrong person there Lad. My whole life has been to be overly cautious and double and sometimes triple checking things it’s just my nature.

Losing a school days friend the way X did would be deeply troubling, to say the least and I indeed have been a bit inconsiderate of his feelings in my post.

My apologies to X and all I offended.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. That said, I'm not sure that there would have been a difference had he be carrying a weapon. Only the Lord knows. Here are some prayers for his family.

Justin

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home