A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Idiots With Guns #61

The purpose of Idiots with Guns is not to humiliate, but to educate. Over the years we have seen photos of people who, upon picking up a gun, just cannot resist pointing it at something they should not, with their finger on the trigger. This is usually the camera, another person, or themselves. These photos are often difficult to google up, because of the pages they are shown on. If you have archived any of these photos, feel free to send them in to bayouroversATjamDOTrrDOTcom

The Four Rules
1. All firearms are always loaded
2. Never let the muzzle of a firearm point at anything you are not willing to destroy
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot
4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger WOP2 said...

IDIOTS WITH GUNS! With the end of the military draft, most folks don't get much of a chance to learn muzzle discipline, finger along side trigger guard, know your gun, don't cover anything with your muzzle you don't wish to destroy. I'm an NRA instructor, and in the very late 80's through the 90's was Chief Instructor at a school we set up in Pittsburgh. Trust me, I've seen some monumental f***ups on the range, even after 8 to 10 hours in the class. I've successfully taken control of at least a dozen firearms that were near to becoming, or had become, a threat to other students. Every student had a coach. No solo's on our range. Every instructor was well schooled in disarm techniques. Fortunately, in all those years, we had a few UD's, but all were downrange. For my part, those students who were disarmed by me or one of the coaches learned some valuable lessons. The real IDIOT WITH A GUN is the guy or gal who buys a handcannon, has the guy at the gun store load it for him/her, stuffs it in a sock drawer, and figures they are now "safe" and "protected". I don't espouse mandatory training, but anyone with half a brain who buys a gun should seek professional training. I carry every day, and consciously make sure I don't sweep my body parts when moving my loaded pistol into holster, pants pocket, or glove box in the car. I'm careful, real careful, to remember where my trigger finger is. I've been carrying in either an official capacity, or as an armed citizen since 1969, and have had two UD's. One was a cock/decock exercise on the range that got away from me. No harm, muzzle downrange in a controlled event (classroom demo--boy did I feel like an ass. Never eat potato chips and then expect to hang on to the revolver's hammer) and the other in a DCM match with a Garand. How stupid could I have been--finger inside the trigger guard while raising the rifle to my shoulder to fire from standing position. Bullet clearly impacted just under the target butt 200 yards downrange. My point is that UD's happen, but if you remember 2 out of 4 of the cardinal rules, especially to keep the muzzle downrange, it becomes a lesson learned, and not a tradgedy. One guy's opinion, and I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home